Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics livestock related only)

Old 04-29-2012, 07:54 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

They will also spend most of their time hiding. Mine used to come out when I put in a "decontaminated" shore crab for it to hunt and eat. Otherwise it would go from hiding spot to hiding spot and we'd rarely ever see it. I got mine fairly small, since as Marie stated, they have a short natural lifespan (1 year I believe for the ones we get). Around here, King Ed's and J&L get them in occasionally. I would imagine the LFS near you can special order them in as well.

I used to go to the beach, collect a few crabs and keep them in some clean water for a week or more to "decontaminate" them a little bit and feed them bits of seafood before dropping one into the octo tank at a time. Their hunting behaviour is quite interesting I must say. I used a metal and fibre-glass screen top like they use for reptiles. Sprayed with rust-proof paint and washed thoroughly. Then I added several large rocks to hold it down in place that were too heavy for the octopus to lift to escape.

Good luck and I hope you have a species tank for it and have a ready supply of live food.

Anthony
Old 04-29-2012, 10:05 PM

Davidbugera is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Davidbugera

U keep them entertains but making them hunt for food like putting shrimp I a kinder surprise egg or a jar with a lid.clam that they have to peel open thing like that but they are supper smart and remember thing like this so u always have to change up the way u feed them. I would feed mine silver side buy hand and play tug a war make him fight for food he seem to really like this method of feeding
Old 04-29-2012, 10:08 PM

My second one lived for 18 months then I introduced a new baby and my old one got by the young one. Awesome fight to get on video even got to see one ink. Super neat to see
Old 04-29-2012, 10:19 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Do u have video of said fight
Old 04-29-2012, 10:42 PM

I have a leg being ripped off a bit of rollin around tenticles going threw the orhers sack and the inking on video. Gladly email it to u if u wana watch it it actualy like 2-3 vids but it's all there lol

Last edited by Davidbugera; 04-29-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:02 PM

That be sweet

nckjeffery@gmail.com
Old 04-29-2012, 11:52 PM

dunl is on a distinguished road

"steady supply of live food"....how about seagulls?

http://www.birdfellow.com/journal/20...in_victoria_bc
Old 04-30-2012, 12:30 AM

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/...a/5350e059.mp4

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/...a/5c869cc5.mp4

Best I could do had trouble emailing there is one more But its 20 second of aggression and 5 minutes of roof lol
Old 04-30-2012, 12:49 AM

thats crazy. but why did you let it happen. would it be possible for the old one to be saved
Old 04-30-2012, 01:22 AM

I guess I could have but I figured his life was long live at 17-18 months old he was lucky to lived that long and I got to watch the best fight ever lol