Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Old 01-17-2009, 03:11 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic622 View Post
That's how long it takes for all the rock to become "live" right?

Sounds like the live rock acts almost like a buffer for ammonia-nitrite/nitrate-phosphate - the more you have the better the system can buffer a load, whether its from fish/invert/food debris or natural (or otherwise) die-off.

I imagine you'd need to spend the first year (starting from 1x live rock) with little or nothing in the tank other than the rock?!?

BTW, very informative articles!

Vic
Yes, in (very) short, that's how long it takes for the rock to become "live". i wouldn't use the word "buffer" to describe live rock's abilities just because that would be confusing with alkalinity buffers, but you have the idea right for sure. That's exactly what it does. Using just one piece of live rock, I wouldn't expect corals to do very well for the first 6-8 months, but if you kept the fish load to 50% or so, that would be fine.

Thanks for the comment on the articles. I wrote them to help people out as some questions come up over and over, and some of the answers can be long-winded, so I think it's best to point people to an article sometimes so they can get the whole story.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 01-17-2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:57 PM

vic622 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
... I wouldn't use the word "buffer" to describe live rock's abilities just because that would be confusing with alkalinity buffers, but you have the idea right for sure.
Okay. biological buffer
Same effect as live plants in my FW planted tanks. I take it in a fish-only system you need to have a reduced bioload - less fish and more water changes to compensate.
Quote:
... Using just one piece of live rock, I wouldn't expect corals to do very well for the first 6-8 months, but if you kept the fish load to 50% or so, that would be fine.
I have a pretty good idea of fish load in a FW setup, but how do I figure this out in FOWLR? Is it different for a reef tank, too?

Quote:
Thanks for the comment on the articles. I wrote them to help people out as some questions come up over and over, and some of the answers can be long-winded, so I think it's best to point people to an article sometimes so they can get the whole story.
Compared to some of the textbooks & articles I've had to struggle through in grad school, your's are succinct and informative!

I'd heard of curing live rock, but now I've got an idea what is going on - and I'd never heard of cooking before!

One question about the process of curing/cooking, do you lose ALL the organisms, or do enough survive to grow & seed the rest and the dry rock?

Vic

75gal Reef
35 gal sump/fuge ~ about to move all to new condo!

Ottawa Tank Build
My 1st Reef Tank Build