Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-09-2017, 09:56 PM

iceman86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFish View Post
What would be causing it? Perhaps everything
Could be "Magnetic induction" Had noticed the same issue in 2014 and discussed it HERE. Gets complicated. I no longer test for stray voltage, probably should but still don't know what to do about it
Lots of good info on that link but it's not stray or induced voltage from the pumps because they were all unplugged when I tested.

I don't think the voltage is enough to harm anything but I need that ph probe to stay calibrated and working properly to control my calcium reactor. I'm not sure if it's because the controller plug in only has 2 prongs but from the googling I've done it looks like that's the right plug in.

Another strange thing I noticed is when I hook up my laptop to the controller while everything was plugged in, the voltage dropped to 2 volts. That was with the laptop charger plugged into the laptop. If I unplug the laptop charger it's jumps back up to 20. Could it be because the laptop being connected to the controller has a 3 prong plug in and takes the voltage from the controller?
Old 08-11-2017, 03:22 AM

I pulled the controller off the tank and tested it in a pale of fresh salt water away from the tank and using different plug ins. when nothing is connected to the water it reads 2.5 volts. when i hook up the controller with only the temp probe it reads 3 volts. When i hook up the ph probe it jumps to 55 volts.

I also tried the ph probe on the conductivity and redox plug ins and still got 55 volts.

maybe its time to switch to apex
Old 08-11-2017, 03:12 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Three prong plugs are generally used on higher power equipment such as drills & tools of that nature, especially if they have a metal case. It's a safety measure to protect you from shock if the case of the appliance is somehow shorted to the power lead. A GFCI device will also protect you in a similar manner, even if the equipment only has two prongs. Your aquarium equipment should all be connected through a GFCI. It's code these days for any circuit in a damp area or dealing with water.

Salt water is actually a mild electrolyte, i.e. similar to battery acid. If you have two metal objects in close proximity in a salt water solution, there is a potential for electricity to be produced, voltage & current. Your pH probe is metal..... Don't stress out too much. I understand you need the pH probe to work with your controller, but at the end of the day, many folks are quite successful running their tanks with fewer bells & whistles.

Voltage itself poses no danger until it is given a path to create current flow, such as your hand in the water & bare foot in a puddle of water. The voltage would need to be quite high to complete that circuit through your body & zap you. In the tank it's unlikely any electrical current is flowing especially if you can put your hand in the water & don't feel a tingle or shock.

Last edited by mike31154; 08-11-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:46 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. Since pulling off the controller I have only been getting 4-6 volts which is low enough for me. I do like the comfort of a controller so I'll be looking into buying a new one.

Thanks
Old 08-14-2017, 04:09 PM

Animal-Chin is on a distinguished road

What do you use to measure voltage in the water? What kind of meter?
Old 08-14-2017, 04:53 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

The Profilux probes are galvanically isolated which means there should be no voltage coming through the probes. If the Profilux is new I would send it in for repair. If used, I bet saltwater or saltspray has corroded it.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
The Profilux probes are galvanically isolated which means there should be no voltage coming through the probes. If the Profilux is new I would send it in for repair. If used, I bet saltwater or saltspray has corroded it.
It's a few years old and been sitting in the sump cabinet so it probably corroded some stuff. It's pulled out now and I'm not getting and weird current anymore. It is a little bit of an older model so an upgrade is always better right?
Old 08-18-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin View Post
What do you use to measure voltage in the water? What kind of meter?
I use a fluke 1587 multimeter
Old 08-27-2017, 04:29 PM
Administrator

titus has disabled reputation

Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman86 View Post
I use a fluke 1587 multimeter
One probe in water and another against ground from the wall socket?

Titus