Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Yes, we all thank Mike and his team for what they do, however the point made above is that when joining the military, you knew you were going to get paid your pay, and that people we're going to try and kill you. Not a job I would take, so ya, thanks, but if you took it, enjoy it. right?

I think the whole point here is that Mike is trying to get us to send him money so he can buy yet another skimmer. So let's all have fun, feel bad for Mike and hope somehow he can get his new skimmer.

(good try Mike)

Old 03-11-2009, 05:23 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
This post is directed at the general population, not asmodeus in particular:

Sorry to point it out, but if you don't like your work's monetary compensation (talking to everyone here not just asmodeus), why don't you get a different job?

Honestly, I think there are too many people in this world that want everything for nothing. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to get what you want (whether that be monetary or otherwise). I gave up practically my entire life for the winter so I could work on the oil rigs and make some good cash so I can do a few things I've wanted to do for a long time (like travel). The winter has been long and tough with very few days off, little thanks, and I work crazy hours (one of many stretches was 13 hours sleep in 10 days), but it has paid off for me. If it didn't give me what I was after (in my case monetary gain) I wouldn't be doing it.

I don't believe the Canadian military should have a presence in Iraq right now, so I have a hard time supporting our government paying a large amount to the troops. I understand that asmodeus probably works physically quite hard, for this I have a lot of respect to anyone, and believe there should be decent monetary gain by doing so (just not in Iraq eep).

Oops, I think I opened a can of worms.

Asmodeus...by the looks of your tank and its inhabitants and equipment, (really nice!!) it doesn't look like you're doing really all that bad financially.
I hate to say it, but that kind of had the ring of a whine...
that didn't sound like someone who loved their job, it sounded like someone who was left with a choice of making lots of money, or being comfortable and happy...

I am in agreement with you about some of your stances on the us and our ties to them but I also detect a note of hypocrisy here in regards to both of you seem to do what you gotta do to get by (getting by being of different strokes for different folks)....
and whats wrong with trying to voice your frustration with a community of friends?
Old 03-11-2009, 05:24 PM

Pan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scavenger View Post
Yes and it's those that joined, fought and died that ensure your right to voice your opinion, live free and have every right entitled to a Canadian citizen. Some how I don't think "Duh" quite lives up to that.
Sigh...

The duh was part of the I joined the army certain things are expected...
Stop putting fought and died for in messages to somehow try and add weight to your argument. The simple fact is everything he listed in his message as "army life" ie food in bags being shot at etc is part of army life. If one joins the army not knowing these things are going to happen as a result of recieving your paycheck...frankly your ill-informed....being ill-informed is the sole responsibility or lack thereof...of every soldier in every army in the world. The duh was simply meant as "you joined the army and didn't know what to expect"

Please take your blind support for military personal...shelve it....pay attention to what you read....define things in the world for yourself....\

No where did i say the military was bad....simply that being uninformed of ones decisions is no ones fault but your own. Had asmodeus joined the military and been promised more money and they reneged...find....but somehow i think this is not the case....given his SURPRISE at finding out what he caught paid. If anyone else had come on saying they worked for a company and were surprised at their pay...most would question whether they knew what they were going to be paid before they started....it being the army or being shot at doesn't not change this fact....he chose the job, anyone for that matter who complains about a part of a job they knew they would have to put up with and don't quit that job...the onus is sort of on them.

on a side note...a conscripted army is far different than a volunteer army...no one deserves to die...but joining and being made to join are different...i use this example to please get you to seriously consider the "VOLUNTEERED" part of asmodeus's problem.....

Last edited by Pan; 03-11-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Yes, we all thank Mike and his team for what they do, however the point made above is that when joining the military, you knew you were going to get paid your pay, and that people we're going to try and kill you. Not a job I would take, so ya, thanks, but if you took it, enjoy it. right?

I think the whole point here is that Mike is trying to get us to send him money so he can buy yet another skimmer. So let's all have fun, feel bad for Mike and hope somehow he can get his new skimmer.

(good try Mike)

I can't buy a bubble king skimmer....even on 77 dollars a day....

Old 03-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan View Post
I can't buy a bubble king skimmer....even on 77 dollars a day....
Don't worry about it, get a good ol' ER.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Don't worry about it, get a good ol' ER.
I do

er

I Did a few of them....

Old 03-11-2009, 05:33 PM

Scavenger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan View Post
Sigh...

The duh was part of the I joined the army certain things are expected...
Stop putting fought and died for in messages to somehow try and add weight to your argument. The simple fact is everything he listed in his message as "army life" ie food in bags being shot at etc is part of army life. If one joins the army not knowing these things are going to happen as a result of recieving your paycheck...frankly your ill-informed....being ill-informed is the sole responsibility or lack thereof...of every soldier in every army in the world. The duh was simply meant as "you joined the army and didn't know what to expect"

Please take your blind support for military personal...shelve it....pay attention to what you read....define things in the world for yourself....\

No where did i say the military was bad....simply that being uninformed of ones decisions is no ones fault but your own. Had asmodeus joined the military and been promised more money and they reneged...find....but somehow i think this is not the case....given his SURPRISE at finding out what he caught paid. If anyone else had come on saying they worked for a company and were surprised at their pay...most would question whether they knew what they were going to be paid before they started....it being the army or being shot at doesn't not change this fact....he chose the job, anyone for that matter who complains about a part of a job they knew they would have to put up with and don't quit that job...the onus is sort of on them.

We all have a right to voice our opinions. I did just that as you have. I truly believe what I wrote and did not embellish to add weight to my arguement.
Also, I would not call my support of the military "blind." After about 1 year of research and life changing thought. I am proud to say, my paperwork has been submitted as to my joining the Canadian Forces Reserves.
And no, not every soldier in the world chose their job. In fact, I'd say a very large number had it thrust upon them.

Last edited by Scavenger; 03-11-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I can't wait to fire up my RS250, poor thing has been sitting out in the shed for a couple of months now It must be lonely out there all by itself in the dark.

Alternatively I would have liked to try out one of the ReefFlo Orca skimmers, I was looking at the 250 which is rated for 200-800 gallons. But its external and that kind of freaks me out a bit. The Octopus Extreme 250 is an in sump model, has gotten good reviews and is like half the price.

I suppose ultimately the best deal was the RS250 as I got it used and it looks brand new and has the gate valve mod done already.

Has anyone looked into those cone skimmers? I see Progressive Reef has some Octopus Hurricone Category 2 skimmers. They look interesting.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Myka, its not called brown nosing to the USA, its called out commitment to NATO. Thats the force that there. Its just to bad that the other NATO countries, {except for Britian and a few others}, wont let their troops peek out from behind their protective barriers. As far as I,m concerned, the next time one of them need us, {being Canada, Britian, & the USA}, we should tell them sorry.

Thats the really sad thing about us being there. That and the USA troops being in Iraq instead of Afganistan, but thats another story and not for a Canreef lounge.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
I can't wait to fire up my RS250, poor thing has been sitting out in the shed for a couple of months now It must be lonely out there all by itself in the dark.

Alternatively I would have liked to try out one of the ReefFlo Orca skimmers, I was looking at the 250 which is rated for 200-800 gallons. But its external and that kind of freaks me out a bit. The Octopus Extreme 250 is an in sump model, has gotten good reviews and is like half the price.

I suppose ultimately the best deal was the RS250 as I got it used and it looks brand new and has the gate valve mod done already.

Has anyone looked into those cone skimmers? I see Progressive Reef has some Octopus Hurricone Category 2 skimmers. They look interesting.