Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-07-2009, 05:02 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

An SPS eater....that is unusual. They are just so hard and stony.... Usually, it is the softies that they go after.

Too bad. He's not for me. My tank is mostly SPS but it would have been large enough for him.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 10-07-2009, 05:39 PM

fooser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
An SPS eater....that is unusual. They are just so hard and stony.... Usually, it is the softies that they go after.

Too bad. He's not for me. My tank is mostly SPS but it would have been large enough for him.
That is exactly why I did not expect it. My Zoas and LPS were all fine. I thought it was jsut me neglectin gthe tank that some sps started lokoing bad, I didn't suspect there was somethign in my tank until one day i noticed a few of my SPS in one section of the tank were all messed up. Some of them were flipped around and upside down, some were broken and somethat were not flipped had pieces missing off them, and almost all of them on the tips were all rubbed and broken. (if you see these symptoms, better start looking for a worm!!) But maybe mine was just a freak worm who decided to have different tastes. Then my fishwent missing and i knew there was somethign wierd for sure. Then one night i saw him on my SPS .. i think even if he was not eating them, he was on top of thema nd his spikes and huge body rubbingitself on the coral was enough to kill the tissue right off it. Either way, he is NOT reef safe. I am sure the sps had munchingmarks though. Have you ever seen the jawz on those worms.. i almost wanted to throw up when i looked at his face really closely.
...Now that I think about it.. one of my fish that use to sleep over by the worm area suddenly started sleeping on the opposite side of the tank in the corner and i didnt know why.. maybe there was somethign to do with that.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I'm fascinated with these things. Talk about a great excuse to plumb in a small tank! Hey I think someone was asking for pics earlier. I think that's pretty rude but maybe you could for kicks pleeasse?
Old 10-07-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
I'm fascinated with these things. Talk about a great excuse to plumb in a small tank! Hey I think someone was asking for pics earlier. I think that's pretty rude but maybe you could for kicks pleeasse?

Haha alright. I did take pics, not very good ones as the bag reduced the clarity a bit, but i will try to post em tonight. Sorry I didn't post earlier but i been working doubles this week :P
Old 10-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Hey no worries take your time. I just hope 'those other guys' can wait =)
Old 10-08-2009, 05:45 AM

OK, so here are some really crappy pics. Keep in mind for size reference, this guy is in one of those XXL sized bags about a foot wide. That and he is curled around multiple times in there.

Oh, and no I did not have to break apart any rocks or anything to get him.. he was actually pretty cooperative.. minus the part where he grabbed onto my koralia4 and slid himself completely in there which i dont know how he could fit.. then i covered the powerhead with the bag, held it closed and pulled the powerhead out from the tank with him upside down til he slid out into the little bit of water in the bag. then i pulled the PH out and added water for him.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:02 AM

Mr.nintendo is on a distinguished road

awesome and kinda scary looking at the same time :P
Old 10-08-2009, 03:05 PM

sitandwatch is on a distinguished road

I am a little disturbed by the look that monster but also intrigued.
How long does it take for them to get that big??

I think that I have one in my tank that is about 3 inches long but its pretty skinny.

Last edited by sitandwatch; 10-08-2009 at 04:30 PM. Reason: stuff