Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-13-2017, 03:36 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Everyone who switched to AF Probiotic or Reef salt are having similar results.

Hmmmm.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:44 PM
Vendor

JamRobo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
Everyone who switched to AF Probiotic or Reef salt are having similar results.

Hmmmm.
Yea so it seems! I was reading a post on the aquaforest facebook page of someone having the same issues, and no polyp extension which im also experiencing...
A AF user commented and said uou have to just give it time and give the tank time to adjust to the new change... but its hard to give something time when its causing corals to die!
I dunno you see all these pics of AF run tanks with beautiful colors etc but now the number of troubled AF user posts our number the good ones... where do we draw the line and cut this crap out?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2017, 06:28 PM

ReefMadness is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRobo View Post
Yea so it seems! I was reading a post on the aquaforest facebook page of someone having the same issues, and no polyp extension which im also experiencing...
A AF user commented and said uou have to just give it time and give the tank time to adjust to the new change... but its hard to give something time when its causing corals to die!
I dunno you see all these pics of AF run tanks with beautiful colors etc but now the number of troubled AF user posts our number the good ones... where do we draw the line and cut this crap out?
how long does that change need to take place is the big question then? i've been running aquaforest's entire lineup (probiotic salt, dosing components and a few additives) since January and this has been an issue since. its hard to imagine balance taking so long to achieve.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:08 PM

sobe is on a distinguished road

Hmm i just switch to AF salt as well just on last water change 2 weeks ago and noticed these as well matter of week it grow, it spreads fast. I was coming from IO salt too which i didnt have this problem. The bubbles are from gas being produced and its trapped in inside. The end stage is where it lifts off and "melts" away. It mostly grow on sandbed and walks over anything on its path that have rock or calcified structure., zoa on a sand bed attached to a rock is unaffected and it was just arround it. My acan i had to move them off the bed and into a rockwork.

I noticed that i directed a power head on it and end stage seem to go faster.

Lps seem unaffected still has polyps open. But yea they blanket anything they touch.

Im affraid water changing with the same salt that is producing this will just make matter worse?
Old 07-13-2017, 07:15 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

I think it boils down to that good old saying, 'nothing good happens fast... except bad things'.

I honestly think that if you take your time transitioning into Aquaforest (or Zeo for that matter) rather than switching to it overnight, you can achieve amazing results. These 'advanced' methods are just that though, designed for advanced and experienced reefers in mind. You really need to have an understanding of your tank and how your corals react.

That being said, the only AF product I use is the reef salt, and I've experienced the same snot. I am planning to switch back to IO on my new tank.

As for your tank, I don't really have a solution.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:21 PM

ReefMadness is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
I think it boils down to that good old saying, 'nothing good happens fast... except bad things'.

I honestly think that if you take your time transitioning into Aquaforest (or Zeo for that matter) rather than switching to it overnight, you can achieve amazing results. These 'advanced' methods are just that though, designed for advanced and experienced reefers in mind. You really need to have an understanding of your tank and how your corals react.

That being said, the only AF product I use is the reef salt, and I've experienced the same snot. I am planning to switch back to IO on my new tank.

As for your tank, I don't really have a solution.
i can't disagree with this at all.
admittedly, i bought new salt almost immediately when it became available and didn't take any special measures to integrate it. add to that, inside 2 months i also switched out of tropic marin 2-part into aquaforest's balling method.
i definitely can't complain about how aquaforest colours up sps but i'd sure like to get around this bloom and have it settle into balance again.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:22 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

I'm struggling to identify these bubble things or algae. I have started a 3 day lights out period with the tank being completely covered. I'm starting to panic as I have only went though one bucket of AF Reef Salt and half of it was mixed with RC. I just bought another AF Reef Salt but I'm hesitant in using it...

I'm surprised how many others are experiencing this. Ditched IO RC as I wanted parameters more along the lines of NSW. Any other suggestions?
Old 07-14-2017, 03:23 AM

I am scared to look at my tank in 3 days. Thai stuff is invasive and covers sps corals, Lps and Zoas with ease.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:14 PM

sobe is on a distinguished road

Any update? Is yours brown or purple "snot"? Mine is more purplish. I have added chaeto on my sump and it seem to have decreased and detaching. Its only on one section of the tank and my clownfish eats when stringy bits detach
Old 07-18-2017, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobe View Post
Any update? Is yours brown or purple "snot"? Mine is more purplish. I have added chaeto on my sump and it seem to have decreased and detaching. Its only on one section of the tank and my clownfish eats when stringy bits detach
Posted an update on my build thread. Haven't saw anything eat this stuff!