Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-17-2008, 09:10 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I want make it clear that I like the idea, and agree with what most people have said, but there's a right way to do things and a wrong way.

Can we setup a system where people can post rather than voting or at least both? Just having polls is pretty meaningless, as stating voters need some kind of accountability. I've never seen a system like this and I really don't think it's going to work.

It's funny how some are saying vendors are hiding but it's the members that are hiding not the vendors. It's also amusing that you're not allowed to actually post anything negative about vendors but you're now allowed to vote anonymously? This seems to be a huge contradiction.

I would rather have people freely post their experiences, good or bad. This way we could at least correct them or be aware of the problem. How can you fix a problem if you don't know what it is??
Old 08-17-2008, 09:15 PM

Brent F is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
I would rather have people freely post their experiences, good or bad. This way we could at least correct them or be aware of the problem. How can you fix a problem if you don't know what it is??
You hit on the root of the problem. Since feedback, good or bad, is against the rules and feedback is usefull to everyone we are stuck. This might not be the ideal solution but at least it is trying to find a solution which is great to see.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:21 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

Some of you have obviously not been around when feedback was allowed. Back then, any negative feedback often ended in childish name calling and bickering more reminiscent of a school yard then a reef board and it would go on for pages and pages like that

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 08-17-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent F View Post
Since feedback, good or bad, is against the rules and feedback is usefull to everyone we are stuck.
If feedback is against the rules, then we're breaking the rule with this system. Let's at least do it right. Stop beating around the bush, lets just allow all feedback. I have no problem with this.

And you're right it is good to see something being done and the mods are doing a good job. I'm just trying to help. I assure you almost all vendors will not like this system as is.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:30 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

"It's funny how some are saying vendors are hiding but it's the members that are hiding not the vendors. It's also amusing that you're not allowed to actually post anything negative about vendors but you're now allowed to vote anonymously? This seems to be a huge contradiction."

Now am I hiding by choice or because I have to? I have voiced my opinion many times before (and had my hands slapped a few also) but its not up to the members if we can post reviews, in theory its up to the mods/ admins and sponsors. I do agree, there has to be some form of accountability in this method otherwise its swinging to the far left of the pendulum. We need to find a center point ( That's why were discussing it here though !)
Levi
Old 08-17-2008, 09:44 PM

^agreed

I think a quick solution would be to make the polls public. This way vendors could at least verify if the voters are customers (my major concern), if they are not we could contact the mods and have the vote removed. We could also contact members privately if someone was dissatisfied.
Also members could contact other members and inquire what they liked or disliked about the service provided. I think this is the minimal requirement of such a system.

Last edited by sphelps; 08-17-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:59 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

I like the idea. I would also support making voting public. That way, you wouldn't get the public "he said-she said" name calling game, but there would be accountability and the chance for reparation.

Having said that, I also understand if it must be left as is and hope the mods don't see this as a criticism! Go mods!

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 08-17-2008, 10:38 PM

wickedfrags is on a distinguished road

To what end? I am not opposed to any comments in my sponsored forum and would hope staff would not modify comments without my permission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent F View Post
Dave,

Since you don't want feedback posted on this site I have removed all posts where I previously commented on frags I purchased from you from this site.
Why must comments be anonoymous???????????? I fully support a system that allows discussion of issues on this board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2as kass View Post
Have to agree, although I completely respect wickedfrags decision to pull out from our Canreef rating scale I believe that as a vendor you should have nothing to hide. If everyone on canadafrags.ca is raving that you provide excellent service then it should be the same here on canreef. I personally have made the decision to not purchase product from vendors on the site that choose not to have there services rated. When it comes down to the bottom line, if you practice good business etiquette and make sure your customers are happy then you have nothing to worry about. Yes vendors should be stopped from posting on other vendors and yes the votes should be monitored (This is canreef though and the mods do an amazing job of it!) but to say that no one can rate you because you believe you always provide 100% customer service is absolutely ridiculous!
Old 08-17-2008, 11:22 PM

Brent F is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedfrags.com View Post
To what end? I am not opposed to any comments in my sponsored forum and would hope staff would not modify comments without my permission.

Why must comments be anonoymous???????????? I fully support a system that allows discussion of issues on this board.
Any negative comments are not permitted so would be removed from your sponsor forum as they would from any other. Since only positive comments are permitted I decided not to comment on any vendor who does not want to participate in the polls.

If vendors opt out they shouldn't be surprised if customers do too. I have a difficult time with the rules for one vendor being different than all others. I can post feedback on everyone except you under the current setup and decided if you don't want my feedback it is inappropriate to comment at all on any purchases.

The moderators have done well with this first attempt at trying to find something workable. I anticipate we will end up somewhere other than where we are right now. Why not work with them instead of opting out?

I see your point on anonomous comments. I don't have problems with voting being public. I also don't have problems with the current setup where voting is confidential and the vendors have the ability to ask the moderators to investigate to ensure the votes are legit.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:28 PM

Monti-Man is on a distinguished road

I have dealt with bussiness's that before i have even bought something I received the poorest customer service and choose not to shop there.So should i not be able to rate them because i never purchased anything there? i have received details(promises) on shipping,packaging etc before i actually enetered into the sale and had i known about the bussiness from some other way than i wouldn't have shopped there.Sure the product might be okay but in all reality the customer service sucks as they lied from the get go. Its not all about the purchasing power. Customer Service has alot to do with a voting system as we'll.

I would think that the vendors with good customer service and rating's have nothing to worry about when it comes to 2 upset people and 30 happy customers. Example(Snappy)
Yes indeed if you have alot of unhappy people than either something is up(pm a mod) or you need to reevaluate how you are running your bussiness.

You can't please everyone. Do you think places like Future Shop etc....Really care about the people they have ticked off along the way. They have enough "Happy" customers to still run a good bussiness.
Numerous corals,2 purple tangs,choclate mimic tang,Foxface,Solar wrasse,male and female lubbocks wrasse,hoevens wrasse,Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse,Blue Sided Fairy Wrasse,yellow wrasse,3 Yellowstripe Anthias,True percand S.Gigantea anemone