Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 02-22-2010, 11:45 PM

ILIKECOUGARS is on a distinguished road
Default TLF Phosban Reactor 550

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...m?pcatid=11586

Is there anyone useing this reactor. I am thinking of picking one up to use with the NP bio-pellets, and using a MJ 1200 with it. Any thought about this, or would the Phosban Reactor 150 would be good enough which I already have.
I have a 150g. display tank with a 50g. sump. About 180g. system.

Thanks,
Ed.

Last edited by ILIKECOUGARS; 02-23-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:57 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Don't bother using the tlf 150 with the NP pellets. With your
volume you will probably want to run a litre or so which the tlf150 won't support. Save yourself the agony and get an mr-1, vertex or TLF 550 media reactors.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:58 AM

viperfish is on a distinguished road

I have been looking at the same thing. Take a look at the Reef Shoppe in Lloyd, they have that reactor and I see they have a shipment of biopellets coming in. I just had a livestock shipment shipped and I was very impressed with the service, sure beats ordering from the US. You'll have to post a review if you get one.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:23 AM

I order a TLF Phosban Reactor 550 from OA to use with the NP bio-pellets. I will post a review when it gets set-up.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:17 AM

artrye is on a distinguished road

Ive been running the TLF 550 w/maxi 1200 with 1L of Biopellets since Jan. Its a great reactor but Im having trouble getting the pellets to tumble equally. I have to shake the reactor up once a day to get the pellets moving around. If I left it alone, only one side or a portion would move the rest would just stay. Ive tried a bigger pump, I have cut the sponge in half (better flow)but no luck, same result.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:28 PM

Well I had this reactor set up for over month now with 1L biopellets. With no foam and only a mesh mod on the bottom plate so that the pellets won't fall thru.

First week useing a mj1200 and the pellets would only bounce around in the reactor.

Second week switch to a aquaclear 70 (about 400 gph) now the pellet would tumble on one side of the reactor and producing a lot of mlum, and would clog the pellets from tumbleing, which each day I would have stir the pellets in the reactor. The TLF 550 reactor top comes off easy without removing any plumbing or twisting the bottom of the reactor. A plus for this reactor. Ran this way for 2 weeks.

Now I have it plumb it to my return line from the sump, (which was less than $10 dollars for fitting). Now the pellets I would said are boiling in the reactor 3/4 to 1" above the level mark of the pellets on one side the reactor and down the other side in circular motion.

I am wondering now, if this is too much flow?

Last edited by ILIKECOUGARS; 04-12-2010 at 04:49 AM.