Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-30-2010, 07:18 AM

marvinsae is on a distinguished road
Default diatom problem

i'm staring to notice some "brown algae" or diatom. everyday it seems to spread but i've read up on it and it says its normal after cycling and it should disappear as fast as it shows up. i guess my tank isn't well established yet. should i wait it out or go purchase more snails. i've been doing regular water changes. i'm a bit confused though, some say increase the light, others say do a black out. im just worried how it would effect my maxima clam. other then that i have no corals YET.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:07 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Not trying to be a dick. Did'nt you just set this tank up 4 weeks ago? Could still be going through a cycle. I would take the clam back. It's really hard to be slow and patient and it will save alot of fiddleing around and money if you are.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:32 PM

it was about a month ago that i started my tank however i used cured LR and it never went through a cycle. i've never gotten an ammonia spike even after adding fish
Old 04-30-2010, 03:49 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

diatoms are usually caused by one off three things......old bulbs can sometimes be the cause.......excess nutrients, either from a cycle or from overfeeding can be a cause...... and finally, poor flow, all of which are easy fixes.....

I would have to agree with madreefer about the clam......I put two squamosas in my reef about six months after it being re-setup after a move....both died within a couple months.....this scared me away from clams for a while then I tried again after the tank was a year old and every clam I've added has done well(save one.....not sure what happened to it?)..... it doesnt matter if the rock was cycled or not, if the rock hit the air then its basically a brand new tank..... one month is to soon for a clam IMO
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 04-30-2010, 04:39 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
diatoms are usually caused by one off three things......old bulbs can sometimes be the cause.......excess nutrients, either from a cycle or from overfeeding can be a cause...... and finally, poor flow, all of which are easy fixes.....

I would have to agree with madreefer about the clam......... it doesnt matter if the rock was cycled or not, if the rock hit the air then its basically a brand new tank..... one month is to soon for a clam IMO
Agreed.

No black out required. Since the tank is new the diatoms are part of the cycle. They should cycle out on their own provided you keep up water quality. What do you have for a clean up crew now?

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:39 PM

right now i have 7 astrea snails, a brittle star, and a diamond watchman goby. im going to get more snails soon and a pair of cleaner shrimp. im guessing that its caused from my tank cycling? but i didnt go through a cycle...i've got a 250w mh pendant and a few power heads so im pretty sure the light quality is good along with the flow. i guess ill just have to wait it out?
Old 04-30-2010, 05:40 PM

damn now im really worried about my clam. it seems to be doing fine so far...it moved to the sand bed and within minutes he opened up when i acclimated him
Old 04-30-2010, 05:56 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

How big is your tank? I would suggest you wait on the cleaner shrimp until your tank is 3-4 months old so they have enough to scavenge. A new tank, even with cured rock is still a "harsh" environment for critters until it has had a few months to age. I would suggest you move very slowly on adding critters for the first few months to avoid losing them. Even if your tank didn't show any signs of cycling, you could have inaccurate test kits, or you can call he diatoms new tank syndrome instead.

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:41 PM

my tank is 65 gallons with a 40 gallon sump. alright well i will take it easy for now and wait a few months before adding anymore. i've been spending a lot of money on my tank so far so it'd be better for the tank, and wallet. as for the test kits i dont think they are inaccurate. what are the odds my ammonia and nitrate test kit being off?
Old 04-30-2010, 11:04 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Probably sick of hearing the negative stuff. But your goby just may starve to death as well. They eat organisms in your sand bed. With a tank that new there will not be enough in there and what is there, he has most likely already ate.