Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-23-2014, 08:56 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Holy Paint Skills Batman!! I like the look of that way better than sketch up ... awesome work!

Set up looks very well planned. I really like the way you have your support tanks set up, very smart idea. Pretty sure when I plumb in my frag tanks and ATO Res and Fuge during my move in the fall ... I'll be coming back to this thread. Pure genius in terms of simplifying maintenance.

And if there is one thing that ends up being an absolute truth in this hobby for me after 10 years ... if maintenance is difficult to do, it likely won't get done. The easier it is, the more frequent it will be kept on, and the better your system will be as a result of that.

So, in all, awesome job!!
Thanks!!! I totally agree.... I have shut down so many tanks due to difficult maintenance. Everything I've done in this build so far has centered around ease of maintenance.... so that I actually do it!

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 04-23-2014, 09:24 PM

LoJack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy! View Post
... so that I actually do it!
Amen to that lol
Old 04-24-2014, 04:39 PM
Gold Member

Took a head pressure measurement for the 2400 GPH Mag24. Looks like I should be getting 628 GPH out of the end of the pipe into the water change tank. That means I should be roughly 4 minutes to fill again.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:35 PM
Gold Member

Default It's Wet!

Got the water change tank all set up and running.

The Mag24 sure does push water.

I did find one small leak though. After about 15 minutes of running, it was only one small drip. It's coming from the middle joint on the verticle pipe here, right before the ball valve. Any ideas on how to seal that? Should I just try more glue around the joint?

Old 05-01-2014, 08:42 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

That looks awesome! I like the spinny water exit pipe thing on the left side bucket.

Yeah, you could just try more cement around the joint in question. It might look like butt afterwards but it should work.

Alternatively you could hacksaw it apart, pry the pipe pieces out of the joints and redo it. Takes a bit of elbow grease but it's do-able.

Or if you can get some clear PVC cement, you could just use that. You can get clear at Western Pump.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
That looks awesome! I like the spinny water exit pipe thing on the left side bucket.

Yeah, you could just try more cement around the joint in question. It might look like butt afterwards but it should work.

Alternatively you could hacksaw it apart, pry the pipe pieces out of the joints and redo it. Takes a bit of elbow grease but it's do-able.

Or if you can get some clear PVC cement, you could just use that. You can get clear at Western Pump.
Thanks!

Yeah I'm going to try some more cement for now. It's definitely a small leak. I don't really care what it looks like, because it's in the laundry room. I have to run to western pump for some spaflex anyways, so I'll pick up some clear while i'm there!

Old 05-02-2014, 01:09 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

that looks BOSS! I need to make one of these !
Old 05-09-2014, 04:44 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
that looks BOSS! I need to make one of these !
Why thank you!

Got the drain all connected and plumbed. I decided to tap into an existing drain pipe in the laundry room instead of using the floor drain. I thought that the flow from the water change sump might be too much for the floor drain, and I would have to wait for it to drain at a certain speed. This was a little more difficult because there was paint on the pipes. So lots of primer later to get a good solid surface, it looks solid.

Drain comes out into the laundry room

Then goes into an existing drain pipe (from the kitchen sink).

Also go the return lines from the water changing station back into the tanks. The one on the left will be for saltwater to fill the water change tank. The one on the right is to fill my ATO container with RO water. I will leave it all hooked up and ready to top up my ATO resevoir until I have to do a water change.

I also ran an extension cord so that I can just flip a switch on my American DJ powerbar to activate the Mag24 to top up the RO water from upstairs.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Gold Member

Another upset with my RO/DI system though.... I had a vendor order me 3 replacement canisters for the RO side. Came in.... and the threads are different!!! They won't screw in to my BRS unit. The threads on these seem a lot more coarse.

These are now for sale... Anyone need any?? Cheap!

And my poor RO unit :-(

Looks like I will have to bite the bullet and order them for $20 a pop from BRS. And deal with the ridiculous shipping charges and the silly UPS wait times.... .UURRRGGGH

Old 05-09-2014, 07:46 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

They didn't send new top parts? ?? That seems ... somewhat suboptimal...

For each one I've had to replace (a few now) I replaced the clear part and the top bracket it threads into (it's just held on the metal bracket by screws).