Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 06-22-2009, 01:51 AM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee
Default |par

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmin View Post
The write up in the link by RuGlu6 EXPLAINS that the lighting has not been tested on a tank full of water yet but once it is they will be PAR testing. This is very new technology for the aquarium business so it's gonna take time
kinda my case and point - the first thing I would have done was test the par values even before attaching it to a lumenarc reflector or declaring it a new technology for the aquarium business. it would suck to have done all that work to find out that it has the par values of a incandescent light bulb I can hardly wait to hear what they actually are....
Old 06-22-2009, 01:52 AM

subman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmin View Post
I understand its watts we get charged for but low amperage is better right? eg... 2 x 250watt halides @ 1.5amps ea is better(less power consumption) than 2 x 250watt halides @ 3 amps each. Although I didn't realize that would only be 2.2amps @ 120v. Thats SWEET!
Low current is better only if the voltage is low as well!
The formula for watts is:
Watts=Voltage*Current (amps)
so wattage is a double edged sword high voltage low current or high current low voltage is the same wattage. That's why we pay in watts the power company gets you both ways!
Old 06-22-2009, 01:54 AM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road

lol IC. I figured there was some aspect to it I was missing. Thanks for the heads up
300 Gal 6x3x28 high Starphire peninsula w/external herbie/bean animal hybrid +150 Gal custom sump with 30gal fuge section, (both built by Concept Aquariums Calgary), 3x Ecotech Radion xr30w g2's(soon to be G3 Pros), Jebao DCT 12000 return pump, 2x Jebao RW 20 powerheads, Tunze Ato, Vertex ro/di, Reef Octopus Ext 200 skimmer run internally.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:55 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Ya, apparently they have a 28v DC controller that runs them. So ys, the 120V current isnt that much, for what it produces

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 06-22-2009, 02:07 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Lee View Post
kinda my case and point - the first thing I would have done was test the par values even before attaching it to a lumenarc reflector or declaring it a new technology for the aquarium business. it would suck to have done all that work to find out that it has the par values of a incandescent light bulb I can hardly wait to hear what they actually are....
I agree. One video of a bright light and suddenly it's The Second Coming. Let's sit back and see how this new technology develops before hysteria creates impossible expectations. I seem to remember the same sort of "OMG! OMG! OMG!" syndrome when PFO came out with their LEDs and we all know what's happened since.

Don't get me wrong, I think plasma and LEDs are the future, but they're not quite ready for prime time it seems just yet. It's become sort of like the plug-in electric car of reefing.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:29 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkshiu
It's not lighting the entire tank.
I agree it's not but with a better reflector It sure could! Pretty impressive stuff.
What better reflector could there be? I thought Luminarc's were top shelf? I agree with Steve though, 2 would be better for that tank.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 07-15-2009, 08:27 PM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkshiu View Post
I agree. One video of a bright light and suddenly it's The Second Coming. Let's sit back and see how this new technology develops before hysteria creates impossible expectations. I seem to remember the same sort of "OMG! OMG! OMG!" syndrome when PFO came out with their LEDs and we all know what's happened since.

Don't get me wrong, I think plasma and LEDs are the future, but they're not quite ready for prime time it seems just yet. It's become sort of like the plug-in electric car of reefing.
x2 ! wery well said.
I cheked their blog and all it is is the big hipe:
"oh so much has been done to get it where it is now"
" oh we are so very busy making this new miracle happen"

I wonder if the price of this new miracle will be on par with LED fixtures when LED's just came out?$2000-$3000?
Old 07-15-2009, 11:51 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuGlu6 View Post
x2 ! wery well said.
I cheked their blog and all it is is the big hipe:
"oh so much has been done to get it where it is now"
" oh we are so very busy making this new miracle happen"

I wonder if the price of this new miracle will be on par with LED fixtures when LED's just came out?$2000-$3000?
yup, but wait two years and they will be close to the same price as a good MH set up

If I was brining out something good I would price it as high as the market would bare untill sails slowed then have a bunch of good sales which would turn into the new pricing.. might as well make the "people who have to have the newest" pay

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:34 AM

subman is on a distinguished road

Here is a link to the par readings on these lights:
http://www.vegasreefers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5628
interesting!

My other summer hobby:
http://www.edkra.ca
Old 07-30-2009, 03:18 AM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

so about the same as a 150w mh... no thanks