Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-14-2002, 04:19 AM

benjoss is on a distinguished road
Default Confused Clownfish

Hey Darren thanks for the advice so far. the Clown is a percula. I am not sure if it was tank raised or ocean caught. I guess I should have asked when I got him. My lighting is good. I just recently upgraded it. I am not 100% sure if my anemone is a H Crispa. He has long, thin almost clear arms but white tips. He seems do be doing OK. This my first time starting up an aquarium. My good friend Jack who also posts messages here got me into it. So any adive would help a lot [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] thanks
Old 01-14-2002, 05:08 AM

Samw is on a distinguished road

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by benjoss:
I am not sure if it was tank raised or ocean caught. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My observation so far has been that tank raised ones are less bright orange. If you go to J&L, you can see the tank raised ones are less colorful. This has also been documented on various websites. Ex.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/clownfis.htm

"Percula (ocellaris), sebae (clarkii) and tomato (frenatus) clowns are produced in commercial numbers. These may be initially smaller and less-colorful than wild-caught specimens; but they do live. "
Old 01-14-2002, 12:08 PM

reefburnaby is on a distinguished road

Hi,

The colour is a key indicator in determining it's health. The brighter colours means better nutrition and health. Usually, selcon helps brings back the colour in fish.

I have seen this in my goldfish too...

- Victor.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:43 PM

DJ88 is on a distinguished road

Sam,

Just so you know, Ocellaris and Percula are two different fish.

Look them up on Fishbase.org and you will find the differences if you are interested.. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2002, 01:16 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DJ88:
Sam,

Just so you know, Ocellaris and Percula are two different fish.

Look them up on Fishbase.org and you will find the differences if you are interested.. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Darren, yes. I knew that. I have a pair of Ocellaris at home. True Percs are captive bred too aren't they? I think J&L had some captive bred true percs which were also less colorful than the wild caught ones.

BTW: The above quote was from the website, not my words. I know it may be misleading the way they said "Percula (Ocellaris)".

Victor, yes I agree its probably something missing in their diet. I would assume some sort of crustacean/amphipod/copepod. When I use to raise large Red Oscars, they would turn brown when fed live guppies or dry foods but they turned bright red after feeding them live prawn/shrimp.

[ 14 January 2002: Message edited by: Sam W ]
Old 01-14-2002, 01:21 PM

DJ88 is on a distinguished road

Well it was the misleaading part from the web page that got me.. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] lol.. I think I need a coffee..

I am not sure if the ones J&L sell are Tank raised(or if the are Percual clowns. I'll look into it.. I will probably be dropping by at some point today or tomorrow.. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2002, 01:30 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DJ88:

I am not sure if the ones J&L sell are Tank raised(or if the are Percual clowns. I'll look into it.. I will probably be dropping by at some point today or tomorrow.. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Darren, I picked up my fireshrimp on Sunday otherwise, I would have gone with you to get the group price.

When I bought my wild-caught Ocellaris at J&L about 2 months ago, John told me that they also had a tank full of captive-bred true black perculas. But that was 2 months ago. What they have advertised on their website now is for tank-bred Ocellaris. So, I'm sure you'll find out tomorrow if they still have tank-bred true percs or ocellaris or both.

[ 14 January 2002: Message edited by: Sam W ]
Old 01-15-2002, 04:39 AM

canadawest is on a distinguished road

Hey Darren, let me know when you are going to head to J&L. If I can I'll swing by your place and we can head over together.

I want to look at the Wrasses again, and we can get the group buy rate on those Blood Shrimp when we're there.

PS.. Anyone else who was interested in Blood Shrimp, J&L has a tonne of them for only $29.95. If you buy 4 or more they are $2 less each. So if you only want a pair, come buy them at the same time as Darren and I to get a bulk rate!