Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-06-2007, 07:50 PM

andestang is on a distinguished road
Default How many use both - Ca & Kalk reactors

Just in the process of setting up my MoCalc 300 reactor. Just curious how many of you use both a Ca & a Kalk reactor. This could almost be a poll question I suppose. I use to just use Kalk, but I thought I'd give the Ca a try. Going through peoples setups I've seen people with the duo combination.

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:12 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I used to use both, but right now just the Ca reactor because I was having trouble getting a consistent flowrate through the kalk reactor (the valve was constantly clogging when I had it on the output, and when I had it on the input it wouldn't work either), so I just took it offline for a while. I was going to set it up again now that I have a dosing pump, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. So, all things being equal, my preference is to run both.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:23 PM

littlesilvermax is on a distinguished road

I use both just to keep up!

FWIW I have a needle valve feeding my kalk reactor (from my RO/DI unit resevoir) and it works for about 5 to 6 months before my drip rate changes.
Calcium, Kalk, RO filters, magnesium, Excellent prices
Old 02-06-2007, 08:42 PM

KrazyKuch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to KrazyKuch

I use both and i just run my topoff right threw the Kalk Reactor so that when I need water replaced it's replaced with Kalkwater

Kevin
Old 02-06-2007, 09:34 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I used to do that too but I grew tired of cleaning out my float valve every few months. Although on the other hand it was far less problematic than trying to have a slow drip rate instead. What was happening was that as my RO/DI barrell emptied, it has less head pressure pushing the water through the lines and thus the drip rate would slow down more and more until it was time to refill the barrell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesilvermax View Post
I use both just to keep up!

FWIW I have a needle valve feeding my kalk reactor (from my RO/DI unit resevoir) and it works for about 5 to 6 months before my drip rate changes.
Littlesilvermax, how much height differencial do you have? 5 to 6 months with a steady rate is incredible. Or how often if your RO/DI reservoir being refilled? Maybe that's the difference, you're keeping yours full whereas I let mine get close to empty before refilling (mine is a 50g resevoir and I only need to refill it every two weeks or so).
Old 02-06-2007, 11:26 PM

littlesilvermax is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Littlesilvermax, how much height differencial do you have? 5 to 6 months with a steady rate is incredible. Or how often if your RO/DI reservoir being refilled? Maybe that's the difference, you're keeping yours full whereas I let mine get close to empty before refilling (mine is a 50g resevoir and I only need to refill it every two weeks or so).
I run a switch on my RO system (I know not ideal due to TDS creep, but I have DI too, but it is for the whole house as well) so the pressure (I have a gauge) goes from a low of 30psi to a high of 55 psi.

It fluctuates a little due to the pressure swings, but it is less then 15% I would say.
Calcium, Kalk, RO filters, magnesium, Excellent prices
Old 02-07-2007, 12:15 AM

Tangman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKuch View Post
I use both and i just run my topoff right threw the Kalk Reactor so that when I need water replaced it's replaced with Kalkwater
ME too ! ME too!
Old 02-07-2007, 01:57 AM

KrazyKuch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to KrazyKuch

I have a 12 VDC float valve that controls a power head, which pumps the water to my Kalk Reactor so I have nothing to clean other then the reactor every once and a while

Kevin
Old 02-07-2007, 03:08 AM

Tangman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKuch View Post
I have a 12 VDC float valve that controls a power head, which pumps the water to my Kalk Reactor so I have nothing to clean other then the reactor every once and a while
Again Me Too !
my float controls a 12 volt relay which controls a 12 volt tunzes pump
Old 02-07-2007, 05:31 PM

andestang is on a distinguished road

.......so both just to keep up with the calcium, not to help stabilize PH/Alk levels also ?

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.