Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough
Default Need advise! Don't want to cause a major cycle.

So i'm purchasing a new 187 gallon with 90 gallon sump. I currently have a 110 gallon with 30 gallon sump that is a FOWLR tank. I'm selling this tank, and moving all of the inhabitants from one to the other.

I am a little worried about causing a cycle in the new tank when everything is swapped over. Most of the sand and all filter media will be swapped, along with about 100 LBS of live rock, and all of the water.

What can be done to prevent a fish killing cycle? Obviously there is going to be much more water being added to the 187.

And another related question... How long will my fish be ok in my 100 gallon holding tank? I have 2 Koralia 4's and my 890GPH mixing pump from my hydor performer running in there with all my live rock.

I"m just slightly lost because i've never made a jump this big. Usually its only 50 gallons or less!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 11-13-2010, 05:11 PM

Cubeman is on a distinguished road

Hi Mike,
If you transfer the rock and sand in such a way that you don't kill off the bacteria (e.g. keep them wet) I would be surprised if you get any sort of cycle at all. The key is to be well prepared and make the transfer as quickly as possible. If the new water to make up the difference in size is aged and not freshly made up this will help stabilize the water parameters. I've found the large green garbage pails are a cheap form of storage for this type of venture.

Regarding the fish in the holding tank, it sounds not much different from the tanks of 15 years ago before we got all fancy with equipment. You are not confing them to a much smaller space so I don't see any reason why they wouldn't survive the transfer providing they don't jump out from fright.

Planning ahead will make a big difference in how this goes for you at the end of the day...good luck
/Paul
Old 11-13-2010, 05:31 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Ditch the sand it will cause you trouble that you dong need, I recommend new sand , you won't barely any of a cycle just from what's under your rock from your sand stuff that got stirred up. Use all the water you can and be fast about it. 100g is a great holding tank and you can hold the fish there for quite a while if need be. I would suggest housing them for a few days if you can it will give you time to aquascape and get everything set up without stress to them .heaters,cludyness, plumbing tuned, water oxygenated etc.

I moved a 180 across the city using same sand I gad Jo losses but I wiuld use new if I had the chance again.

I moved into a new 110 from my old 110 did it all in the same day using new sand and housed fish in a holding tank and I had all the comfort in the world setting it up, had no cycle and added all my fish a few days later
Old 11-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Gold Member

Yeah I have 2 rubbermaid brutes filled with saltwater that has been sitting for about 3 days with heat and flow, so thats all ready to go. I'll have to add sand anyways, so I was thinking of using about 3/4 of a pail of my current sand, ditching the rest and adding new. I think that will work just fine.

Can't wait to try out the new Hydor Performer (thanks zoaelite!)

Old 11-13-2010, 11:06 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Personally, I never ever ever transfer sand from one tank to another. If I were you I would make the transfer leaving the tank bare bottom for a month or so, then add new sand. Or in that time you can wash and "cook" the sand much like you "cook" live rock. The sand bed is sensitive in the way that many of the inhabitants are very delicate and even moving the sand around so the bottom layer mixes with the top is enough to kill a lot of life. Kill life = make cycle. The fish will be ok in the holding tank with powerheads, live rock, and a heater indefinitely as that is essentially a FOWLR, no?

Also, in cases like this I like to use those SeaChem Ammonia Alerts that hang in the tank. You can transfer it from one tank to another, so you can put it in the holding tank, and then the 187 when it is started up too. I have found these alerts to be surprisingly accurate, and are great because they are compatible with Prime in case ammonia does spike.

Does it bother you that your tank is 187 gallons? I mean 187 is the police code for Homicide! It could be a killer tank!! Just sayin...

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 11-13-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Does it bother you that your tank is 187 gallons? I mean 187 is the police code for Homicide! It could be a killer tank!! Just sayin...

Well I have to admit... I like to keep it gangster!

Old 11-14-2010, 12:29 AM

chris88 is on a distinguished road

i agree ditch the sand moving it will cause an ammonium spike.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:51 AM

edreinink is on a distinguished road

"Does it bother you that your tank is 187 gallons? I mean 187 is the police code for Homicide! It could be a killer tank!! Just sayin... "

Only in the States, in Canada its 235