Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Freshwater > Ponds & Koi

Old 09-22-2011, 01:46 AM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
Unfortunately, this may not be what you want to hear - my wife and I have agreed to keep the cost of this project to ourselves. It was pricey, but well worth it to us. However, I saved a ton by doing everything that I could by myself. I pretty much hacked away at it every chance I had by myself, with my wife helping when she could. Made several trips to places to get gravel, lumber, stones, sand, soil, plants, to the dump etc. With the pond company we received several gift certificates for our 10 year anniversary last summer and we will be using those gift certificates toward the pond itself. The only labour we paid out was for the pond company and a couple of teenagers here and there to help dig/weed etc (mainly it was to help those teenagers out during the summer to raise money for certain causes.
Thanks for the reply Dez. I understand if you don't want to disclose the total cost of build. I just want to get a reference on how much it would run me, but I guess it wouldn't really matter unless if I factor in the labor. Never the less it is awesome. Keep us posted. The pond is bad ass.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 09-22-2011, 03:52 AM

Eduardo is on a distinguished road

The wife says the backyard looks like a picture out of a home design magazine. Nice job.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:11 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

u got shots of the "mechanical" stuff for us equipment junkies ?
Old 09-22-2011, 01:17 PM

Blom is on a distinguished road

Nice touch with the glass in the bridge!

28G JBJ Cube Last Tank

Seriously shopping around for a new tank
Old 09-22-2011, 04:55 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Ya that glass is a brilliant idea love it! I may try to adopt that for my pond next year :-)
Old 09-23-2011, 12:19 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

hey Des, looks amazing so far, I have been trying to figure out what to do with my back yard as we have 1/2 an acre with a few fruit trees and the rest is grass. I was thinking a waterfall that turns into a river and a smaller pond area then you have. this gives me some ideas how things look in a befor /after perspective.

one question though, are you sure 1/2" glass is going to be strong enough for the size of holes you left there? what if some one fat comes to visit and see the oaisis you have created like me most of the walking panes I have seen are more like 1" thick.

somthing that big you could almost stock it with rainbow trout and go fishing haha

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.

Last edited by StirCrazy; 09-23-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:10 AM

Ross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post

one question though, are you sure 1/2" glass is going to be strong enough for the size of holes you left there? what if some one fat comes to visit and see the oaisis you have created like me most of the walking panes I have seen are more like 1" thick.

somthing that big you could almost stock it with rainbow trout and go fishing haha

Steve
I'd be about someone with a piece of sand or a pebble in thier shoes taking out a pannel rather than big bertha.

In industrial applications they use tempered laminated glass. That way, if the top layer shatters, you wont fall through.
67 Gallon Mixed Reef, Modular LED Lights

Send in the Clowns - Clown Fish Breeding
5 Gallon Fry Hatchery and 15 Gallon Clown Grow Out Tank
Old 09-23-2011, 02:24 AM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
hey Des, looks amazing so far, I have been trying to figure out what to do with my back yard as we have 1/2 an acre with a few fruit trees and the rest is grass. I was thinking a waterfall that turns into a river and a smaller pond area then you have. this gives me some ideas how things look in a befor /after perspective.

Steve
There is a glass company that rents some warehouse space I have. They said that for that size, 6mm tempered will do. There are pictures of a person standing on a 48" x 48" piece of 6mm tempered only supported from 2 edges in one of his glass magazines. So we went double the thickness and tempered. It's only 11" wide so I'm not too concerned. I looked into what Mindy suggessted (rock guard 3M stuff), but that stuff is more expensive than my glass, so I'll just replace it every couple of years. The glass is costing me less than $200 for all 4 sheets, so quite reasonable.

Last edited by Dez; 09-23-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Ya that glass is a brilliant idea love it! I may try to adopt that for my pond next year :-)
Believe it or not, it was a spontaneous idea I had while framing the deck and then I prompty called my glass guy to check on cost/strength (of course after consulting my wife for the OK)
Old 09-23-2011, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi delt reefer View Post
u got shots of the "mechanical" stuff for us equipment junkies ?
Will probably come after the weekend. I am going Scuba diving this weekend so I won't be around and it's dark now already.