Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2015, 05:20 AM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road
Default Help me fix my flow

Hey,

I'm hoping to get some advice and optimising the flow inside my tank. Life has been a little crazy for me and I've neglected it severely and it went downhill really quick.

I'm getting my nutrients under control gradually, but lost a lot of coral to RTN so now I'm really entering recovery and maybe rebuild mode. One of the things that's been bugging me for a while has been a (maybe perceived) lack of a really good plan for flow. I think part of the problem is that the pumps I have are just not moving the water efficiently.

The photo below is what the tank looked like about a year ago, I don't have a photo I'd be proud to share right now so this will have to do. The rock work is unchanged.

Tank is (supposed to be) a mixed reef with LPS/softies down low and SPS mid to upper levels.

Current flow in the tank is a Tunze wavebox and a pair of 6055s. The tank is a standard 75 gallon with center overflow. Return from the sump is pretty minimal, I think in the neighbourhood of 500gph.

Behind the rock is a straight shot for the wavebox across the back of the tank, so the rock isn't really resting against the back glass, there's ~4" between the rock and glass. I've played around a lot with the placement of the 6055's and I just can't seem to get anything I'm super happy with.

One idea I had was to add either an MP40 (new quiet drive) or a Tunze 6105 on the left side glass beside the wavebox and relocate both 6055's to the right side glass, that way the big powerhead wouldn't be fighting the wavebox.

Looking forward to your thoughts!