Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-11-2012, 05:41 PM

Dlo132 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by subman View Post
I would look at firefish as well. Nice color and friendly as well as maybe a flame hawk as long as you don't plan on keeping any shrimp.
No more hawkfish in this tank- the one that came in it killed a fire shrimp- the "boss" Was moderetly upset.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:54 PM

Seriak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by subman View Post
I would look at firefish as well. Nice color and friendly as well as maybe a flame hawk as long as you don't plan on keeping any shrimp.
I love my purple fire fish. Only problem is, I never see it. Always hiding in the rock.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriak View Post
I love my purple fire fish. Only problem is, I never see it. Always hiding in the rock.
I don't need any more scaredy cats- the marine Betta just hides Untill breakfast, stalks the biggest chunk of food, then hides for another 23 1/2 hours. And he is by far the biggest fish in the tank.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:38 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

Hmm. Some of the fish you've listed are not very colourful. Is there any specific colour/fish on her wish list?

Hubby wants "cool stuff" in our tank . . . which is about as helpful and descriptive as "more color."
Old 06-11-2012, 07:49 PM

Well I think more "flash" is a better word.

I want fish that will serve a purpose and be interesting to watch, As my clean up crew is slacking and my algae problem seems to be full blown one day and no existent the next.

Wife wants fish with some flash (bold black/white contrasts or colors that "pop").

I'm looking into these fox faces as they seem pretty interesting and will serve both purposes! Is it ok to house a fox face with a smaller tang usually?
Old 06-12-2012, 12:10 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyd View Post
Very true!! Other options are:

Foxface Rabbitfish. Nice Yellow / Black & white look. They grow larger but would be fine in a 90G.
A 90g is way to small for a foxface or any other kind of rabbit fish. They grow large fast (might be ok for a year if you get a 2" one to start but would need to be re-homed after a year, grows to 5-6" within a year usually) mine is 8" and is big in my 230g.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:25 AM

kdpuffer is on a distinguished road

Depending on the fox face, an lo or one spot doesn't get as big and are not as active of swimmers as tangs. Something for the op to note- fox face have venomous dorsal spines. Depending on the person the reaction can be mild to very severe.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:40 AM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

Fridmani Pseudochromis (orchid dottyback) is a colourful and interesting fish. I have always had one in my tank.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:18 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Build a 1/4" mesh top for your tank (doesn't restrict light) and look at some fairy and flasher wrasses. There is a How-To video on the BRS website for mesh tops if you're looking for ideas. I used to have a flame angel and it was a very pretty fish. Don't buy the first one you see though, some have very bland coloring while others are a really bright red with a very pronounced metallic blue on their fins.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer View Post
Depending on the fox face, an lo or one spot doesn't get as big and are not as active of swimmers as tangs. Something for the op to note- fox face have venomous dorsal spines. Depending on the person the reaction can be mild to very severe.
I got a 1 spot yesterday - ocean city had 1 in and he looked pretty bright. Is hiding with the Betta today but I'm sure in a couple days he will be eating away at the rockwork. Thanks all.