Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics livestock related only)

Old 11-14-2012, 03:00 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road
Default LF: copepod culture

I was just wondering where in Calgary can I find live copepods to culture it in my tank.

P.S. I have many tiny tiny amphipod in my tank so I was thinking of adding copepod in the AC110 fuge and get a mandarine in it And before you flame me, please do tell me where I can find copepod culture

I just don't want any gobies in the tank since I have three maxi minis waiting for bottom dwellers And I want something challenging

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 11-14-2012, 03:31 AM

Nano is on a distinguished road

Mandarins are gobies so to speak. Slow moving easy targets for sticky nems. IME they are hard to keep in small tanks I went through 2 scooter dragnets that ate frozen live and flake and still was unable to keep either alive for more then 7 months. This has been my experience though, and my tank is larger with nearly triple the total water volume of yours. Approach these lovely fish with extreme caution. Good luck.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:39 AM

If this is a serious fish for you, being that your tank is small you will be best off culturing your own pods and feeding the tank on a regular basis to keep it well fed, also trying to coax it to eat pellets will be to your benefit.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano View Post
Mandarins are gobies so to speak. Slow moving easy targets for sticky nems. IME they are hard to keep in small tanks I went through 2 scooter dragnets that ate frozen live and flake and still was unable to keep either alive for more then 7 months. This has been my experience though, and my tank is larger with nearly triple the total water volume of yours. Approach these lovely fish with extreme caution. Good luck.
Yap well aware of that. As many would say, my tank is too small for mandarine. But I would love to take up this challenge and ofcourse I have back up plans if I can't keep up with it (which I am 90% confident that I won't). But this hobby is all about challenges Like you successfully used, what most would say, "snake oil" to cure ich.

Oh I totally forgot about the goby family thing :| But I really don't like YWG since they are just, STILLLLLLLLLLL! Even my banggai and firefish move around the whole tank :P Weird :P

Old 11-14-2012, 03:42 AM

Quote:
If this is a serious fish for you, being that your tank is small you will be best off culturing your own pods and feeding the tank on a regular basis to keep it well fed, also trying to coax it to eat pellets will be to your benefit.
Yah I intend to add copepods culture every month. Plus I have ABUNDANT amount of tiny amphipods too. And AC110 fuge which hold big volume of chaeto (well not as big as dedicated fuges ofcourse :P). Putting 6oz of copepods in chaeto should be enough; whats your opinion on that?

And I do plan to try for few weeks to get it trained to jump through the loop

Old 11-14-2012, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Like you successfully used, what most would say, "snake oil" to cure ich.
??
I don't follow
Old 11-14-2012, 03:44 AM

Quote:
??
I don't follow
Sorry I might have mixed up but someone with "nano" in their username used herbtana to cure ich successfully I was just trying to present an example of debate :P

Old 11-14-2012, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Sorry I might have mixed up but someone with "nano" in their username used herbtana to cure ich successfully I was just trying to present an example of debate :P
Yes herbtana is 100% safe though, I wouldn't call it snake oil, I think your thinking of the time i steered you away from using kordon ich attack which is a whole nother thing.

If you are going to seed your tank monthly will most likely not keep up with the mandarins eating habits. Remember your other fish eat them too, though it is not their sole dietary need. I would be going weekly in a smaller tank, as they will get cleaned up faster then they will reproduce
Old 11-14-2012, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Yes herbtana is 100% safe though, I wouldn't call it snake oil, I think your thinking of the time i steered you away from using kordon ich attack which is a whole nother thing.

If you are going to seed your tank monthly will most likely not keep up with the mandarins eating habits. Remember your other fish eat them too, though it is not their sole dietary need. I would be going weekly in a smaller tank, as they will get cleaned up faster then they will reproduce
Yah herbtana is a great product. My fishes actually recovered automatically so didn't buy that. But there are people who call those "snake oil". I clearly remember some in that post

Anyway back to the topic; I feel like I don't have any pod eating inhabitant. I got a pair of clown, a banggai and a firefish. I will using the fuge as breeding ground. Currently, its the breeding ground for amphipod and trust me, there's LOT of them! Don't you think 6oz bottle will be good enough for the breeding cycle for a month?

Old 11-14-2012, 06:31 AM

Reefgoat is on a distinguished road

From what I understand Mandarins graze pretty much constantly. What you consider a lot will probably be mostly gone in the first week. If you want to have one you will probably need to culture pods in other containers and add them to the tank or it will slowly starve to death. Make sure to get Tisbe copepods as opposed to Tigriopus (Tigger) pods.

As an alternative you could get an ORA captive bred target Mandarin. They raise them to eat pellets and frozen food. ORA may have Blue Mandarins available now again as well, but not last time I checked.

Last edited by Reefgoat; 11-14-2012 at 06:36 AM.