Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-05-2012, 01:29 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road
Default Curing Dry Rock

I'm thinking . . . I see no reason to cure dry rock in saltwater: at least for the first couple of weeks. There is no life to preserve. I simply want the phosphates to leech out.

I've got a new batch of Eco-Reefer rock. I haven't had an issue with this rock in the past. I have had severe "new tank" algae issues with dry rock that I picked up at Red Coral, however. I have no idea if the stuff I got from Red Coral is the same, or different, from the Eco-Reefer rock.

I'm planning 4-6 weeks in ro/di with a heater and powerhead, and then 4 (or so) weeks in saltwater with something to seed it. Any reason why this shouldn't work?
Old 09-05-2012, 02:01 PM

lpsreefer is on a distinguished road

I think if you do a week or two in ro/di and do an extra 2-4 weeks in saltwater it would be better.
I had it in ro/di water for a week then in saltwater for 8 weeks worked fine no issues.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:03 PM

I could do that. It would give more time for bacteria to colonize.

How often did you change the SW water, Matt? And, what percentage of water change did you do?
Old 09-05-2012, 02:11 PM

MKLKT is on a distinguished road

A phosphate/silicate absorbing media wouldn't hurt.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:12 PM

I have a bag of Chemi Pure Elite. Should I just toss it in the rubbermade? Alternatively, I could hook up the canister filter to it and put the Chemi Pure Elite in that.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:13 PM

The last batch was just shy of about 150 pounds in a 100 gallon tub. I only did 5 gallon change every week, but the 5 gallons was from my main tank.
Bacteria still needs a food source to reproduce or spread.

You don't really have to do water changes all that much as you want bacteria to grow and there is no light for algae.

If after your first week in saltwater. If all your tests come out zero, then I wouldn't do a change for a few weeks. If your po4 is high then do a big water change as te rock is leeching.

Last edited by lpsreefer; 09-05-2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Tired, lack of sleep due to stupid light plus water!
Old 09-05-2012, 02:13 PM

riceboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to riceboy

When i cured my dry rock i just simply added it to my tank, i mean there is nothing to die off and no pests in the rock to cure it. Your simply just trying to seed it with your live rock and make it into live rock. In my 82 gallon build I basically took the shelf rocks i got from tony, drilled and made a structure that i liked and put it into my tank with my existing live rock (note to self throw away rock with aiptasia ) and never had an algea bloom cause there was nothing to die of on the rocks.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:16 PM

Some of this stuff definitely needs cured/cooked out of the main display system! Dry rock can be like adding a phosphate bomb to your tank. I've used it three times without curing . . . never again. I've had huge GHA issues twice.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:22 PM

With eco rock it's tuff sometimes as you don't know how long it's been stored and how. Or for that matter how many times it's been store in places. Ie warehouse, back rooms, store fronts.
Dust or people touching always better to play it safe!
Old 09-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboy View Post
When i cured my dry rock i just simply added it to my tank, i mean there is nothing to die off and no pests in the rock to cure it. Your simply just trying to seed it with your live rock and make it into live rock. In my 82 gallon build I basically took the shelf rocks i got from tony, drilled and made a structure that i liked and put it into my tank with my existing live rock (note to self throw away rock with aiptasia ) and never had an algea bloom cause there was nothing to die of on the rocks.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89284

Does not always work that way. I added mine as you mentioned.