Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-26-2012, 03:44 PM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Wayne, thanks for the props. I would utilize the sides of your tank since your tank is not viewable from the sides. You have a "mountain" look now. I leaned rock on the sides of my tank. Some people don't like to do that, but my overflow and returns are on the sides and I'm never selling my tank anyway so I wasn't worried about scratches. Also, the magnet trick, you could mount another 20 frags with magnets on the side and back wall. My tank is viewable both sides, so I have no back wall. That's prime real estate for you.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:59 PM

waynemah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
Wayne, thanks for the props. I would utilize the sides of your tank since your tank is not viewable from the sides. You have a "mountain" look now. I leaned rock on the sides of my tank. Some people don't like to do that, but my overflow and returns are on the sides and I'm never selling my tank anyway so I wasn't worried about scratches. Also, the magnet trick, you could mount another 20 frags with magnets on the side and back wall. My tank is viewable both sides, so I have no back wall. That's prime real estate for you.
Thanks Dez

The rock is placed to utilize the available spread of light I have right now. It's fairly dark towards the back and the sides.

I might need to consider different / more lighting... or Lower my lights and take the optics off.

I then run into adding more rock to the DT. I've done it once with no problems, but not sure I want to risk it again.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:15 AM

Another FTS for good measure, bad picture but I'll likely get the hang of it some day.

I'm starting to think the spilled lighting is causing my camera to go crazy.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:35 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

looks awight to me.....you could try throwing a towel or two over the lights to block the spill....
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 08-30-2012, 04:37 AM

Nano is on a distinguished road

Looks great Wayne, a few new pieces since my visit? IMO the left side is fairly open, if it was me, again just my opinion (even the right cove area too mounting them to the rock face) I'd put my montis there and let them fill in, you'd eventually have to relocate the zoas, but it looks like prime real estate to me :P

Last edited by Nano; 08-30-2012 at 04:40 AM. Reason: .
Old 08-30-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano View Post
Looks great Wayne, a few new pieces since my visit? IMO the left side is fairly open, if it was me, again just my opinion (even the right cove area too mounting them to the rock face) I'd put my montis there and let them fill in, you'd eventually have to relocate the zoas, but it looks like prime real estate to me :P
The poor tank is packed with frags which you can't see, but yes a few things added since you were here last

I was thinking the same thing (open left side), but I'm considering making a few other changes:

1. Rock in the front (digi cluster) will be moved towards the back once I get some supplement LED action in place back there.

2. Green Birdsnest colony will be relocated to the back area where your talking about to eventually take up the entire corner of the tank. I'm kind of hoping the birdsnest will grow around the vortech

3. Either add a Maxima clam dead center or a whole whack of LPS in the sand bed... Not sure on this one yet.