Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Old 10-20-2008, 06:44 AM

surgeonfish is on a distinguished road

Tony
I bet you are very happy and relieved. I still want to see more pictures from everyone.
I am starting to get interested in these eels. Keep up the thread.
Shane
300 gal starphire custom built in pentagon reef (+90 gal sump on Blue Line 100 HD return pump, 210lb LR, Euro-Reef RC250 skimmer, 2x400W MH, 2x28W compacts, 2xTurbelle classic 4002 pumps & Turbelle Stream 6100 on 7095 Multicontroller, running ZEOvit)

Livestock
Fish: damsels; sailfin, yellow, regal & naso tangs; ocellaris & tomato clowns; lyretail anthias; foxface lo; flame angelfish
corals: a few
Old 10-20-2008, 07:11 AM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

YAHHHHHOOOOOOOO!

Everytime I see the email with this post...I say to myself..PLEASE let it be Tony saying his eel ate....and YAY this time it happened! I am soooo glad for you!

Last edited by Chaloupa; 10-29-2008 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:27 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

That's awesome Tony. He went on quite the hunger strike hey??

Anyways, congrats!
Old 01-02-2009, 05:45 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Anyhow, mine has hit the sad ending of its story. Haven't seen it all week so finally decided enough was enough and took apart the tank. He's not in there. Not in the sump either. Either he perished and was scavenged (found a nasty large red eyed crab while taking the rocks out) or he's managed to find his way out of the tank. Either way, no more eel.

This has been a rough stressful ride the last 4 months trying to keep this thing happy. I don't think I'll get another.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:01 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Anyhow, mine has hit the sad ending of its story. Haven't seen it all week so finally decided enough was enough and took apart the tank. He's not in there. Not in the sump either. Either he perished and was scavenged (found a nasty large red eyed crab while taking the rocks out) or he's managed to find his way out of the tank. Either way, no more eel.

This has been a rough stressful ride the last 4 months trying to keep this thing happy. I don't think I'll get another.
Awhhh, that sucks Sorry for your loss.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:25 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, I'm really sort of depressed about it actually. Thing that is driving me crazy is not knowing what happened. Do I tear my basement apart looking for a long thin carpet jerky that might not be there? It's always amazing to me how fast caracasses disappear in a reef tank, but I would have guessed in a smaller tank that there would be some evidence one way or the other.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:34 PM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

OH NO...sooo sorry to hear Tony!

Old 01-02-2009, 07:26 PM

Hmmm, well, at least I don't have to wonder any longer. I found him. He did get out after all. Pretty gruesome.

This is what he managed to get out of:

He either got out through the little uncovered gap by the locline or the right hand side because the acrylic was starting to warp and lift a little on that side. I've been wondering all week how to fix that warp but .. well I guess I don't need to worry about it anymore.

Guess if I every try again I'll have a huge box built around the tank top so that there is ZERO chance of escape. I won't put any eels into my 280g now because as an inwall tank I don't know how to enclose the tank 100% AND still be able to feed the fish on a daily basis (and not make it a huge burden for anyone taking care of the tank when I'm away on vacations or work or whatever).

I feel so ... unbelievably affected right now. Part of me wants to feel sad about the eel (and does), part of me is like ... I should be relieved it's not something worse, .. and I feel for my friends at the restaurant. They are going to be so traumatized.. I .. feel so incredibly heavy hearted today.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:50 PM

kipsix is on a distinguished road

Yikes, that sucks. I'm sorry for your loss. You had a rough go with that little guy.

What an escape artist he must have been, your tank is sealed up better than mine is right now.