Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 02-07-2012, 12:32 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough
Default Vacationing on Kaua'i

I am so excited to finally go on a sandy vacation! I haven't gone anywhere like that since the Cook Islands in 1998! Hubby hasn't gone anywhere tropical. So, we are headed to Kauai. I never had much interest in going to the Hawaiian Islands, but with all this talk about banning the aquarium fish trade in Hawaii I am learning lots about the area!

So, we know about the Birds in Paradise microlight flights, and helicopter tour, as well as the hike to the 400 ft Manawaiopuna waterfalls from the beginning of the Jurassic Park movie (6-8 hour hike holy crap). We know that the best snorkeling is at Tunnel Beach, although we aren't expecting much on this island for snorkeling. More of a hiking and relaxing island. What else should we not miss?

We are going to be there April 21-28. We are staying on the coast in the south east part of the island.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 02-07-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I haven't gone anywhere like that since the Cook Islands in 1998! Hubby hasn't gone anywhere tropical.
What are you talking about?? I recall you both visited tropical Victoria!! Doesn't get much better!!
Old 02-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

OMG! I missed that you got married.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:08 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

The laid back pace and the sheer lush of Kauai is what sets it apart. People on other islands go there to vacation themselves. The main highways doesn't even circumnavigate the island completely, it's more of a backwards C. You'll ask "WTF is with all these chickens" when you get there.

Honestly, it's not really the kind of place you should plan to have massive consumption of touristy based outings. The pace is MUCH slower than the other islands. If you make it the north shore you'll wonder if you've landed in some kind of tropical Tofino. Let the ebb and flow of the place guide you and you'll have adventures enough. Your list sounds pretty good to me, the only thing I would add for places to see are the canyon on the south side (pretty spectacular -- you'll look down at it and wonder what the teeny tiny little specks are and then you'll realize they're helicopters -- you're that much higher than they are ), the north shore has that beach near Princeville which is the inspiration for just about any painting you'll ever see of Hawaii and even possibly the inspiration for the fictional Bali Hai -- it's just a pretty place overall.

Snorkeling or diving is a solid "not bad" - beats the heck out of anything in the prairies .. I can't remember about April specifically but the north shore and south shore alternate seasons for the better snorkeling - the waves get too big otherwise.

The coffee plantation is also pretty cool.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:54 PM

Haha Brad! Yes, Victoria is tropical compared to Saskatchewan, especially in April!

Leah, were aren't married. We live in sin. *snicker* We have been common-law for a few years now. "Boyfriend" just sounds so cheap...

Tony, you nailed why we want to go there...laid back and lush! The chicken comment is hilarious, and I am going to think of your when I see them I am sure! Ha! We don't expect to do touristy things other than either the micro-light flights or the helicopter tour. I hear there are some boat tours of the Napali Coast too which we might check out. I heard about the Canyon too, and that will probably be on our list too.

I think for the most part we will probably just lazy around and enjoy being away from the hustle and bustle of real life. I am mostly looking forward to the smell of a tropical island, exploring a tropical island, and spending some much needed time with my honey where no one can bother us!

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I was about to say the same thing as Leah...MARRIED?

Glad to see you're getting a break. Bring back lots of pics so the rest of us can live vicariously through you.

By the way...after a vacation like this are you still making it to MACNA?

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:55 PM

Haha Mark! One day we will get married, but we don't plan to have kids and right now marriage is not overly important to us. We keep thinking about all the other things we could do instead of spending a bunch of money on getting married.

MACNA is a full go Mark!

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:52 PM

Headed to Kauai tomorrow. Anyone PMing me will have to wait until May 1st or so for a reply.

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:09 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

Have a fantastic Trip Mindy!!
Old 04-20-2012, 03:58 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

You know, it's laid back and all, but they do have internet and computers and stuff still. I'm just sayin' ...