Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 10-24-2010, 03:43 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking
Default a 96" tank what lighting

OK I have currently on my 60" tank is 2x400's 20K XM's I'm looking at going 3 MH over a tank that is 96" can it be done. I'm looking at buying the MH that some one on here has that are the interchangeable ones from 250, 250 HQI, 400, 400 HQI.
So if I ran 2 400's on the ends and a 250 in the midle and then once the bulbs are done go with 3x250's on a 8 footer would this work. other then goign with a light mover. Trying to get one its crazy too and $$$$
Old 10-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Sure it can be done, but I'd go 4 bulbs over that length if it were my tank.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:00 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

It depends what reflector you use, whether you use DE or SE, how even you want the lighting to look, and what corals you want to grow where. The ends will be shaded or you will get spotlight effects if the reflectors are spaced too far from eachother. Will you be using supplemental T5 or VHO?

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:01 PM
acanthastrea freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Sure it can be done, but I'd go 4 bulbs over that length if it were my tank.

Thanks Brad another thing I was talking to the person who is going to build it and Im going with a external overflow box. And the braces i have two options Its going to be euro braced around and the center braces are either
2 x8" braces spaced evenly or one in the middle that is wider. with the bracing around I can then add my screens around that have that lip to lay over the tank if I have any jumpers...
Old 10-24-2010, 04:02 PM
acanthastrea freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
It depends what reflector you use, whether you use DE or SE, how even you want the lighting to look, and what corals you want to grow where. The ends will be shaded or you will get spotlight effects if the reflectors are spaced too far from eachother. Will you be using supplemental T5 or VHO?

Hey Mindy the Reflectors are lumen arc i have 2 of them and so I would have to buy another one. for supplement lighting I was thinking of 2x vho's I still havent decided yet on that.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:04 PM

I would use two braces, but get them to space them according to your light setup. Spacing them evenly would probably put them under the halides. If you space the braces evenly the halides will have to be spaced evenly and you will get a spotlight effect. So it depends...do you want spotlight effect or dim ends? Dim ends will make the tank look not as long, but spotlight looks weird imo.

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer King View Post
Hey Mindy the Reflectors are lumen arc i have 2 of them and so I would have to buy another one. for supplement lighting I was thinking of 2x vho's I still havent decided yet on that.
Oh good, I was hoping you were using big reflectors. DE or SE? You will get the best spread with SE bulb and usually greater output (depending on ballast). HQI setting on SE bulb will overdrive the bulb getting greater output (using more electricity), but you would need to replace bulbs more often than usual. I honestly don't think you need anything more than 250w electronic ballasts with SE bulbs. I think those switchable ballasts you're looking at aren't necessary, and you could be wiser with your spending. Unless you want to use a low output bulb like a XM 20K...in which case I think 400w might be a better choice. But wow, that's a lot of electricity.

I would suggest a good quality bulb for better output , and one that isn't too blue to help the tank look brighter. I would suggest four 48" VHO or T5 running the length of the tank one on each side of the halides for the most even look. Fluorescents can be off while halides are on to save power. Do you prefer a whiter or bluer look? What halide bulbs are you currently using? Do you like the color? Would you like to use the same bulbs?

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 10-24-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:16 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

With my 8fter I am going to go with a center brace and 4 250w MH's

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 10-24-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
With my 8fter I am going to go with a center brace and 4 250w MH's
Good call.

You can always change two halides every 6 months to help offset costs. I would always keep the two new bulbs in the center, rotating the older two to the outside.

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:21 PM
acanthastrea freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Oh good, I was hoping you were using big reflectors. DE or SE? You will get the best spread with SE bulb and usually greater output (depending on ballast). HQI setting on SE bulb will overdrive the bulb getting greater output (using more electricity), but you would need to replace bulbs more often than usual. I honestly don't think you need anything more than 250w electronic ballasts with SE bulbs. I think those switchable ballasts you're looking at aren't necessary, and you could be wiser with your spending. Unless you want to use a low output bulb like a XM 20K...in which case I think 400w might be a better choice. But wow, that's a lot of electricity.

I would suggest a good quality bulb for better output , and one that isn't too blue to help the tank look brighter. I would suggest four 48" VHO or T5 running the length of the tank one on each side of the halides for the most even look. Fluorescents can be off while halides are on to save power. Do you prefer a whiter or bluer look? What halide bulbs are you currently using? Do you like the color? Would you like to use the same bulbs?
the bulbs are 20K XM's i like them
4x 48" VHO' wholly
the bulbs are SE
i was looking at going 250's again
If I went 400's that is 1200W and however that i can hang them high enough to get the spread and then Im good to go right.

something like a 6500K IWASAKI lol

yes I love the blue look ,but I like the acans to grow that is what I Have All LPS and 3 squamosa clams