Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-08-2003, 07:48 AM

Samw is on a distinguished road
Default best pc actinic bulb

I'm considering to replace my 96watt 50/50 PC bulb with a true actinic bulb. Which is the best one? I've read that the one from HelloLights is best followed by Custom Sea Life, and then Panasonic is the worst. Is this generally accepted to be the case? I know that we can't get HelloLights locally. So then CSL is next best choice?
Old 08-08-2003, 05:01 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Hey hows the tank doing ?
I would go with the URI bulb , I think its the best ,40 dollars each or you can go with the phillips actinic for 20 dollars each too.
just a hought
Old 08-08-2003, 05:28 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus
I would go with the URI bulb , I think its the best ,40 dollars each or you can go with the phillips actinic for 20 dollars each too.
just a hought
And when those are made in PC format, he might be able to use them!!
Old 08-09-2003, 01:11 AM

right, I do realize VHO is better for actinics but I already have a 96W PC retrokit. So, unless I want to buy a new retrokit, I'm stuck with PC as my supplemental lighting.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:07 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samw
right, I do realize VHO is better for actinics but I already have a 96W PC retrokit.
VHO isn't better, it is just easyer to obtain. I was under the understanding that the hellow lights bulbs were panasonics but ya if you can't get the hellolights ones and can get he csl get them then. or if you are buying 2 of them get one of each and see which you like better.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 08-09-2003, 06:15 PM

AJ_77 is on a distinguished road

I've got a couple of actinic PCs from HelloLights (part of their kit, I believe). They are stamped "Custom Sea Life."

I also bought a new daylght PC lamp that has smaller diameter tubes than my others. It cranks out the light pretty good, but would seem to be a T5 size??
Old 08-09-2003, 06:20 PM

steve-s is on a distinguished road

I recently asked this question to the fine folks at J&L Aquatics. They say the 96w Actinic PC's they sell are true 03's Custom Sea Life.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-09-2003, 09:06 PM

yannCA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to yannCA

hi! guys !

just for your informations :

i was used to order my PC lamps from Lamps Now, now known as Hellolights... Those PC lamps were made by panasonic (3 years ago) ... i had to change the lamps every years.. and they were really black at each end... The new ones are from Custom Sea Life... but not bought from hellolights because i'm living in Sherbrooke... 40km from the border but they still refuse to deliver....
The custom Sea Life PC lamps are much much much.... better than the panasonic ones... used with the same electronic ballast, they are still white after 1year and a month...

So if hellologhts now sell CSL PC lamps go for them...

Yann
Old 08-13-2003, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy

VHO isn't better, it is just easyer to obtain. I was under the understanding that the hellow lights bulbs were panasonics but ya if you can't get the hellolights ones and can get he csl get them then. or if you are buying 2 of them get one of each and see which you like better.

Steve
When I looked at the HelloLights Actinic bulb specs, it mentions that it is Panasonic Style. I guess when people say Hello Lights has Panasonic bulbs, they simply mean its the 4 Square pin style.

Steve, have you done any side by side comparisons (with meter and also just visually) between PC actinics and VHO actinics?

I ended up ordering a PFO VHO ballast and a URI actinic bulb. Should save me some headaches.