Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 04-15-2010, 09:44 PM

Tracey2 is on a distinguished road
Default Purple Tang Advice needed

I have a purple tang in hypo doing great, eating lots but when I look at him closely I see white along his gills and face. Its hard to describe but I know its not ich and I think if it were velvet he would be dead by now, any ideas?
Old 04-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Is it a "mucous" like covering or fluffy? Lines, spots or patchy? Can you be a bit more descriptive? Perhaps a photo if you can get one?

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:03 PM

I'm sorry my photo isn't much better than my discription

sometimes I think its colour loss, maybe the beginning of HLLE but I'm not sure because he also has something white on his side, looks like some type of parasite. The white is in a line along his gills and on patchy on his face. He has been treated with paraguard and is now in hypo because he did have ich.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:15 AM
Staff

What are you feeding him? Is he getting a variety of foods? It does sort of look like color loss but its in an odd spot and I would suspect parasites. Is he breathing heavily or is it business as usual?

He was treated previously with paraguard and now in hypo or both treatments concurrently?

How much longer is the hyposalinity treatment supposed to go for?

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:39 AM

He eats everything, nori and other seaweed, mysis, brine, flakes, pellets. He has another 3 weeks of hypo and the paraguard was before the hypo. I have vitamin c on order, should be in tomorrow but I do soak his food in selcon and zoe. Could I give him some sort of bath before the move?

I am setting up a new tank and my sump is 150g which has been cycled for awhile now and is at the samy hypo salinity, I was going to put him there with a few others I have that are at the same stage in the hypo treatment, he would then have a bigger tank but would have to meet new tank mates, not sure if this will be less stressful or more stressful.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:42 AM
Staff

yeah that might help, it sounds like he's got a pretty good diet and is well looked after. I don't know what to say about the discolorations. It could very well just be stress of being in a QT tank.

Good luck and keep us posted

My 180 Build

Old 04-16-2010, 01:03 AM

Thanks for your help. I do think he has some parasite on his side, can anyone suggest a bath, freshwater or prazi??
Old 04-16-2010, 01:04 AM
Staff

I would try prazi or possibly formalin but I don't think you can concurrently treat with hypo.

My 180 Build

Old 04-16-2010, 01:06 AM

Ok, I think I will try prazi as thats what I am most farmiliar with, thanks again.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:10 AM

vaporize is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to vaporize

Prazi is mainly useful in terms of internal parasite.

Formalin bath (not in QT) is good for external parasite, it basically serve as burning the parasite off, so it's a bit harsh but effective for external parasite.

Good thing - it is not velvet. If it's velvet, it should be gone by the time you notice it and post about it.

You ever think that it might be malnutrition? What are you feeding it
Red Sea, Black Saddleback, Brown Camel, Orange Fin, Melanistic Clarkii, Common Clarkii, True Percula, True Picassco, Pink Skunk, Orange Skunk, Maldives Clown, TRUE Sebae clown, Akin Clown, Gold Striped Maroon, White Striped Maroon, Latezonatus