Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Oceanic Corals > Everything L.E.D.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:16 AM

OceanicCorals-Eugene- is on a distinguished road
Default O.C ICE CooL.E.D Spotlights

Pushing for innovation and paving a path way for LED lighting in our hobby is something we have seen a lot in the last few years O.C is proud to present our ICE Coo-LED. Soon to be in stock

These spotlights will light up those nano systems without the addition of heat. Powered by 3W Cree XR-E white and royal blue LEDs these spotlights are pushing out a ton of PAR for there size.

The ICE Coo-LED spotlights will be coming in 2 different sizes and wattage:

15W @ 850 lumens: 5x 3W Cree XR-E with 60 degree optics
12,000K configuration (2x royal blue, 3x white)
14,000K configuration (3x royal blue, 2x white)
Size: 9.5cm x 9.8cm fins
Pricing: $109.99

27W @ 1440 lumens: 9x 3W Cree XR-E with 60 degree optics
12,000K configuration (3x royal blue, 6x white)
14,000k configuration (4x rotal blue, 5x white)
Size: 12.2cm x 12.2cm fins
Pricing: $169.99

Both of these spotlight utilize E27 sockets which are the normal light bulb sockets! so no fiddling with wiring just plug and play!

Caution! These bulbs are NOT designed to be used with dimming switches any attempt to use them would damage and void the warranty. Also these lamps are NOT designed to be used within enclosed hoods or fixtures any attempt to use them this way would also void the warranty.

EDIT:

I should indicate here that the wattage that we use for the bulbs are the wattage output of the LED emitters not the total wattage usage of the spotlight, in other words if the PAR38 driver takes roughly 6 wattages then the ICE CooLEDs would be the following wattage:

5x3W (15W) + PAR38 driver (6W) = total 21W
9x3W (27W) + PAR38 driver (7-8W) = total 34-35W

We could market these bulbs at there total wattage used, but that would be deceiving our customers as to what the actual output the bulbs are giving out.

Last edited by OceanicCorals-Eugene-; 04-20-2010 at 04:44 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:33 AM

Blowfish is on a distinguished road

who is the manufacturer of these? are they ul approved (a improtant thing)? i'm looking for 12 spots to light a 70 gallon sps tank but i also want to buy from a trusted manufacturer who knows what they are doing i dont want to be buying something made by a teenage kid. Just too many variables with led construction, any tom dick and harry can buy the parts off the web and put them together for less then the cost of a six pack. But if this company icecooled is not some fly by night company that has just started up and has put in the R&D and legit enough to get proper ul certification then you can put me down for a bunch of them for my upcoming build!! Please give us more info, is there a website for this manufacturer? any par numbers? longevity of the bulbs? heatsink calculations? existing users? where are they made? (hopefully not in a basement j/k ) I checked reefcentral but couldn't find any info on these, sorry for all the questions but i'm sure anybody who is going to buy leds are going to ask these questions anyways.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowfish View Post
who is the manufacturer of these? are they ul approved (a improtant thing)? i'm looking for 12 spots to light a 70 gallon sps tank but i also want to buy from a trusted manufacturer who knows what they are doing i dont want to be buying something made by a teenage kid. Just too many variables with led construction, any tom dick and harry can buy the parts off the web and put them together for less then the cost of a six pack. But if this company icecooled is not some fly by night company that has just started up and has put in the R&D and legit enough to get proper ul certification then you can put me down for a bunch of them for my upcoming build!! Please give us more info, is there a website for this manufacturer? any par numbers? longevity of the bulbs? heatsink calculations? existing users? where are they made? (hopefully not in a basement j/k ) I checked reefcentral but couldn't find any info on these, sorry for all the questions but i'm sure anybody who is going to buy leds are going to ask these questions anyways.
The more questions asked the better as we want to sell products that not just efficient/ lower cost, but safe as well and the questions you pointed out are addressing a lot of the issues related to that.. In regards to this product the name ICE cooL.E.D is something that we came up with for it, so a company called ICE cooL.E.D doesnt exist!. However these units are CE certified and the company is currently in the process of getting there MET approval done as well as CSA, we made sure that the company we picked to manufacture these had these certificates as it would be hazardous to sell products which were poorly made, especially when it has to do with electricity and salt water. So just to clarify these units are made by a legit company and not a teenage kid in some basement haha. We had sourced a company in China that had been in the LED industry for a while now (15+ years) but more on the side of everyday household lighting. Unfortunately i cant provide you with a website to the manufacture for obvious reasons but these spotlights are using PAR38 drivers and Cree XR-E LEDs like that found in the EVIL66 spotlights so they should perform close to if not similar to them..

We will be testing these bulbs in our store once they come in and will be testing it out with a PAR meter to see what they give off as well as the temperature they run at. I'll keep you guys posted.

Spects for both lamps
Base Type: E26/E27
Input Voltage: AC110
LED: Cree XR-E
Driver current: 600mA
Optics: 60degree
Ambient Temp Required: less than 68C
Emitter Life: 50,000 hours
Safety Standards: CE ROHS
Over Current Protection
Reverse Polarity Protection

EDIT:heat sink fin size has been added onto the first post.

Last edited by OceanicCorals-Eugene-; 03-21-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:10 AM

got the package in today and these spotlights are looking really nice! well constructed and solid and the heatsink does a very good job at maintaining it at roughly 45C range. The vents on the top, near the socket releases heat near the driver of the unit and the fins depending on where we point it range from 35-46 on the 27W version.

The temperature was taken was an IR temperature gun, the PAR test has to be done still and the PAR values should be up shortly.

For the meantime, heres some photos for those interested in seeing the actual product pictures.

Lets start with the 15W version: (heatsink size: 9.5cm diameter)

----------------------------------------------------

and heres the 27W version: (heatsink size: 12.2cm diamter)

Some close up shot of the heatsink fins + and lens and texture.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:01 AM

tested with the PAR meter today, comparing the ICE CooL.E.D to 400W MH at about 8" above the water surface.

400WMH aquaconnect+6x54w T5HO gave 500PAR at 12" depth
27W ICE CooL.E.D gave 250PAR at 12" depth
15W ICE CooL.E.D gave 150PAR at 12" depth

400W MH ran at 89C
27W ICE CooL.E.D ran at 48C with almost zero heat project forward
15W ICE CooL.E.D ran at 41C with almsot zero heat project forward

Core running temperature on the O.C ICE CooL.E.D is about 50C the fins dissipate the heat to about 38-41 near the LEDs in the front.

Come in the store and check out the Nano system we have running with the O.C ICE CooL.E.D spotlight
Old 03-27-2010, 05:59 AM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Interesting. How far above the surface of the water were the spotlights mounted for your PAR test? I may have suddenly found a replacement for my 70W halide
Old 03-27-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAbyss View Post
Interesting. How far above the surface of the water were the spotlights mounted for your PAR test? I may have suddenly found a replacement for my 70W halide
the 400W MH and the 27W LED were both mounted roughly 8-10" above the water surface
Old 03-27-2010, 12:39 PM

nlreefguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanicCorals-Eugene- View Post
tested with the PAR meter today, comparing the ICE CooL.E.D to 400W MH at about 8" above the water surface.

400WMH aquaconnect+6x54w T5HO gave 500PAR at 12" depth
27W ICE CooL.E.D gave 250PAR at 12" depth
15W ICE CooL.E.D gave 150PAR at 12" depth

400W MH ran at 89C
27W ICE CooL.E.D ran at 48C with almost zero heat project forward
15W ICE CooL.E.D ran at 41C with almsot zero heat project forward

Core running temperature on the O.C ICE CooL.E.D is about 50C the fins dissipate the heat to about 38-41 near the LEDs in the front.

Come in the store and check out the Nano system we have running with the O.C ICE CooL.E.D spotlight
How about doing a comparison with a 250W metal halide? I think probably more people are using 250s than 400s, plus the results should be more favourable!
Old 03-27-2010, 02:02 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

how long would these bulbs last before losing the par reading

360 Reef Tank
Old 03-27-2010, 05:22 PM

xlzerolx is on a distinguished road

My guess would be about 3-4 years. Led's are awesome