Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 03-22-2010, 04:19 AM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlite View Post
Hi, I own a company Sensa-Light Ltd. We do custom lighting. The LED set up you have looks good, but it looks like you have good heat dissipation from the heat sinks. If you can hook up a "K" probe ( most cheap ohm meters will have or use one) and test the heat you may be able to forget the noisy fans.

I am using 1 watt lumileds in blue and white combination to get about 14,000k
I think I have about 30 LEDS on a 55 gallon tank. The home made unit does not need any fans. Good luck, if I can help let me know, Don
Thanks. The heatsinks are probably overkill but that's good. I will probably still run fans as they will be in an enclosed housing and I also want to put the drivers in the housing so it is all self contained. So extra cooling will be good. I plan to run the array for up to a few hours after it's all wired up and see how hot the heatsink gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduperwesman View Post
NICE! Want to build me a 6' one?? ahah
Well, if you aren't in a hurry stay tuned as I have something brewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstar View Post
Tagging along! Keep up the good work, lookin good!
Thanks. I can't wait to see how it turns out myself
Old 03-22-2010, 04:54 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

Ron, computer power supplys put out 5V and 12
Old 03-22-2010, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillegom View Post
Ron, computer power supplys put out 5V and 12
It's a good idea but it's to big and overkill for the need. I will just need a small 12v wall wart and then the voltage rectifiers. That way it will fit in the housing. I wouldn't be able to squeeze a computer PS into it. I can actually probably run my fans off it too as the Arduino and PWM circuitry won't draw alot of current.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:16 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

How many amps at 12V do you need?
Old 03-22-2010, 01:15 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron99 View Post
Still needs a bit of extra circuitry as the Arduino puts out a 5V PWM signal and the Meanwell needs 10V. So it requires a 12V DC supply, a voltage regulator to get 10V, and a transistor that applies the 5V PWM from the Arduino to the 10V line.
um, thats stupid, I figured the PWM models would be based on 5V as there is only need for a pulsed signal not a voltage.. oh well.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:56 PM

Ron, what about using a 10V power supply to power the arduino, and then taking the power from your 9V out wich will actualy be 10V. this will eliminate that need of another power supply as I can't imagin you need much of any current for the PWM.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 03-22-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillegom View Post
How many amps at 12V do you need?
Only a couple of amps. The Arduino itself uses very little current, it dependes on what is plugged into it. I will probably only be using it to generate the PWM signal and power a real time clock circuit so it will likely only be using a few hundred milliamps at most. the three fans will probably use more and fans typically draw around 300mA; maybe a little more. So a 2A power supply will likely be more than enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
um, thats stupid, I figured the PWM models would be based on 5V as there is only need for a pulsed signal not a voltage.. oh well.

Steve
Yeah, but I guess they did not design it with microcontrollers in mind. You can apparently use lower voltage but it will not go to full brightness. I am using a 9V battery for test purposes just to get it to fire up. It lights but is probably not a full brightness. It is basically using a 10V signal for full bright that is then chopped up for the dimming.

Quote:
Ron, what about using a 10V power supply to power the arduino, and then taking the power from your 9V out wich will actualy be 10V. this will eliminate that need of another power supply as I can't imagin you need much of any current for the PWM.

Steve
You are correct. I am still figuring out the Arduino and assumed it needed 5V in but it can take 12V in as it has it's own voltage regulator on board. So I can use a single 12V supply for the fans, the Arduino and then with a voltage regulator to supply the PWM. I don't see a 9V out on the Arduino, just a 3.3V and 5V outputs.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron99 View Post

You are correct. I am still figuring out the Arduino and assumed it needed 5V in but it can take 12V in as it has it's own voltage regulator on board. So I can use a single 12V supply for the fans, the Arduino and then with a voltage regulator to supply the PWM. I don't see a 9V out on the Arduino, just a 3.3V and 5V outputs.
there is a pin labled Vin it can be used for a hardpoint voltage supply or you can take off there to power something else and it will be what ever power you are feeding your board with.. so if you are using a 12v adapter (which is probably what you should use. it will be 12V out. then you can step it down to 10V as you lose about 0.7 of a volt. so that out with a 12V adapter will actualy give you about 11.3V

Steve

Old 03-23-2010, 05:31 AM

Quote:
there is a pin labled Vin it can be used for a hardpoint voltage supply or you can take off there to power something else and it will be what ever power you are feeding your board with.. so if you are using a 12v adapter (which is probably what you should use. it will be 12V out. then you can step it down to 10V as you lose about 0.7 of a volt. so that out with a 12V adapter will actualy give you about 11.3V

Steve
I guess it's 6 of one half dozen of another. I still need to run that through a voltage regulator and then a transistor switched by the 5V PWM from the Arduino. So whether it originally comes off the 12V out from the Arduino or right off the 12V power supply probably makes little difference functionally. Although I may be able to do something more compact with a proto shield on the Arduino itself using the 12V Vin as you suggest.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:23 AM

Quick update. Got all the LEDs wired and test fired. All work fine. Now I need to get some connectors and wire up all the drivers. I am also short a few 60 degree optics. For some reason I thought I had more of them so I have to order up a few more. Arduino parts are ordered and I should have them by the end of the month.