Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2013, 04:17 AM

SteveConn is on a distinguished road
Exclamation New 165g 7 footer

Hi all,
Its time to start moving onto a larger tank from the beautiful 75 gallon tank that Dave @ Concept made for me!
Now that I have moved into a house from a condo, I have a whole basement to play with.

My equipment:
2xMP40s
various reactors for phosphates, carbon
Skimz skimmer (for up to 250g)
3 Radions
DC Return pump (2640 l/hr standard @ 0 hieght)
3 BRS Dosing pumps

My existing tank is overcrowded beyond reason with magnetic frags all over the glass.
I dose with Iron, Pottassium, Amino Acid powder, Vitamin C, Strontium and sometimes mix my own food using garlic, fresh seafood, Omega 3 oil and garlic.
Not a lot of fish...in fact I have great sucess with SPS, then soft coral, then fish (in decreasing order of sucess). I have a sailfin tang, 2 ocerellis, 1 yellow finned trigger fish and 1 lawnmower blennie.

No issues with hair algae at all, but the tank glass gets a brown film on. I may still have 2 emeral crabs but havnet seen them in a while and one fireshrimp

Kinda wondering if I need better CUC to help with the glass a bit

Questions:
Will 2 MP40s be enough from in the tank (other than return from the pump) for SPS? Should I add another MP40 or buy an MP60
IF I buy an MP60, how would I lay them out considering the tank is 2ft wide, 7ft long and 18" deep

Lighting: 3 radions... enough coverage? I have rics, yumas, cyphastrea...things that prefer lower light that I can put along the periphery.

The sump is HUGE.. also 7ft long. I am thinking of modifiying it so there is about a 3ft wide section for algea and maybe put in a smaller deep sand bed for more nitrification.

BULK HEADS: What do you recommend? I plan on drilling the display tank for 3/4" bulkheads 3/4 toward either end from the center of the tank. Should I use larger bulkheads?

Totally open to any suggestions people. Will start working on this over the next couple days!

Thanks in advance

Steve