Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-06-2007, 01:01 AM

Dale is on a distinguished road

I would tend to agree with that in general if the fish is coming from the wild (as opposed to someones trade in). My sense is that adult fish may have their feeding habits set and find it harder to adapt to unrecognizable forms of prepared foods.
Any other thoughts?
Old 02-06-2007, 04:09 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
I would tend to agree with that in general if the fish is coming from the wild (as opposed to someones trade in). My sense is that adult fish may have their feeding habits set and find it harder to adapt to unrecognizable forms of prepared foods.
Any other thoughts?
It is probably the reason together with the stress of the travel here.

The key with the large adult tangs and angels as well is to SEE them eating at the LFS. (A good practice for buying all fish. Don't believe the LFS if they say they had just fed the fish). Sadly most large adulst tangs and angels wont eat.

Catherine. It is from my own early experience with Naso and other large fish like angels. I have also read it but can't find the cite immediately.
Was the naso eating when you bought it?

Thanks

Wayne Ryan
Old 02-06-2007, 04:37 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

It ate nori, and flake, as well as some nips at the rocks as soon as it was in the tank. It had an appetite, but after lights went on the the first night it found a cave and hid. The next day it stayed in the cave but poked its head out once and while. At the end of the same day it moved across the tank into a different cave system were it stayed after lights out. This morning he was found in the same cave system, his body was still pliable at the time he was removed with no evidence that it had been munched on by our cleaning crew. I would say it died just before 9am today. Nothing physical to indicate why it died, but like it was mentioned sometimes fish just loose their will to live once they are in a tank.

I have had, and still have, larger angels and tangs, and I have never really had a problem before with getting them to eat. Again, could be the exception to the rule, etc. Its too bad, it was a beautiful fish and it looked wonderful in my tank. Hopefully in the future I can aquire another one which is just as beautiful.