Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2011, 06:37 PM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road
Default Suppliment Halide's with LED's

Thought i would ask, been looking around, don't see too much on this topic.

So, currently i have 2 XM10K 250W halides with some PC atinics. This works great, but bulbs are getting old, need to be replaced soon. I was thinking of going with some EBay 14K's this time, and then adding a strip of cree XP-G's to help boost up the PAR.

I was thinking 24 XP-G's with 60degree optics driven at about 1000mA. This in theory should give me close to the same output as a 400W halide, but spread across the tank, hopefully getting the same or better PAR as i currently have when combined with the halides. Should i add a bunch of blue's in there too? or possibly run 20K halides to help get more color?

The reason for doing this is mainly cost, it's going to cost almost $200 for new bulbs, or about $250 for the LED's and the bulbs will only be another $50 with the EBAY ones. So it should pay for itself next year when it's time for new MH bulbs again.

If anyone has seen builds like this, or has any idea why this is a terrible idea, let me know. I think it should work well, the Blue LED's are more for color than anything. Keeping the halides should give that full spectrum that you pay lots of money for in high end LED fixtures.