Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-14-2014, 01:14 AM

Ryancw is on a distinguished road
Default 95gal Shallow reef build

here we go.... first build thread as well as first ever salt water tank that isn't an AIO. im pretty excited to say the least.

I've been around aquariums all of my life but it wasn't up until 3 years ago when i tried salt. i was a complete newb and picked up a fluval edge to try and take a stab at it... I realized very quickly how difficult the hobby was, not to mention the tank had its challenges. I moved on from there to a Innovative marine 16gallon and ran it fairly successfully for about a year and a half up until my RBTA made its way into the powerhead while i was at work and completely crashed the whole tank by the time i got home. I remember the smell in the basement to this day.

Now onto the build-
I Just moved into my first home In December and figured it was time. so, after a ton of deliberation i decided to go for it. Currently being built now at concept is my 60x20x18 95 gallon display and 40 gallon 36x17x15 sump. I already have the stand that im going to be skinning with a walnut veneer i acquired free from work. A strip of the veneer will also go wall to wall above the tank to hide the lights im thinking... and maybe further down the road a shelf up either side of the tank since the location is wider than the tank. it will be going in a nook of the dinning room, viewable from both the kitchen and living room.

below is the location and a shot of the wood for the bottom-

the growing equipment list...

-60x20x40h steel stand w/ light rail skinned with walnut veneer
-60x20x18h, back left internal overflow, starphire front, polished and eurobraced
-36x17x15 sump with filtersock chamber, skimmer, return, fuge and ATO
- Bubble magus curve 7 skimmer
- Smart ATO
- Apex Lab grade
- 1x Ecotech MP40
- 2 or 3x Radions
- ehiem 1262 return
-Aquasafe RODI w/ auto shutoff
-more to add,2 media reactors one for carbon and one for GFO but not sure wether to go with the TLF reactors or the BRS dual reactor and if ill run them off there own pump or manifold my return.

fish stocking list most likely subject to change-
1 - yellow tang
2 - designer clowns
2- bangaii cardinal
2-3 - anthias
1 - spotted mandarin once the system matures
1- bicolor or lawnmower blennie