Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-05-2008, 04:01 AM

niloc16 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the input guys. i never thought of potassium i need to get a kit. low nutrients! wow and i keep getting told i've over stocked the fish.

ph 8.0
mg 1380
ca 500
dkh 10
po4 slightly detectable with elos kit
no3 undetectable

i run a big bag of carbon all the time and i also run the phosban reactor full of rowaphos all the time. both are changed out roughly once a month or when i remember

the thing that sucks is that my favorite pieces of the ones effected, as usual!

my tank setup
Old 07-05-2008, 04:11 AM

Ya Dude is on a distinguished road

as precaution i would turn off carbon + phos ban for now
Old 07-05-2008, 04:14 AM

Ya Dude is on a distinguished road

also if you dont use Zeo theres no need to test for K
zeoliths are the cause of potassium depletion
Old 07-05-2008, 03:38 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

With all those fish in your tank it's definitely not a lack of nutrients. Burnt growth tips could be a sign of iodine depletion.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:51 PM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ya Dude View Post
also if you dont use Zeo theres no need to test for K
zeoliths are the cause of potassium depletion
I don't disagree that the zeolite depletes potasium but corals do use it and if you don't replenish it you may have problems in a well stocked sps tank. I don't run zeo but still dose with Kbalance daily and I think it makes quite a difference in the overall health of my corals. I also dose iodine, strontium and several other trace elements.
Colin, there are so many variables to what the cause could be, whether it's one thing or a bunch combined it's hard for us to tell here. I would give some hard thought as to what may have changed in your routine, etc. If that isn't the case I would test as many parameters as possible and see where that takes you. How old are the cartridges for your RO and when was the membrane last changed? Also why are you running carbon 24/7? Do you have a lot of softies and LPS in your system? If not the carbon is probably just pulling out some trace elements, etc. If you are skimming heavy I doubt you need the rowaphos unless you're seeing an algae build up. It's not always easy to get the right balance but sps still needs some nutrients to thrive.

Greg
Old 07-05-2008, 04:57 PM

Oceanic is on a distinguished road

MY TURN!!

I agree, you don't have to run Zeolites to be low in potasium, any tank can be low in potasium for a number of reasons. The potasium may never get as low as a zeovit tank; however, the levels may still get low enough in combination with another low or missing element causing issues such as tip regression. Iodine is also another idea and is easily fixed. I dose two drops of Lugols every monday and friday to keep some free iodine available for the corals.

I run carbon passivly in a filter sock and works perfectly. Using carbon in a reactor can be too aggressive if run 24/7 with a high flow rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy View Post
I don't disagree that the zeolite depletes potasium but corals do use it and if you don't replenish it you may have problems in a well stocked sps tank. I don't run zeo but still dose with Kbalance daily and I think it makes quite a difference in the overall health of my corals. I also dose iodine, strontium and several other trace elements.
Colin, there are so many variables to what the cause could be, whether it's one thing or a bunch combined it's hard for us to tell here. I would give some hard thought as to what may have changed in your routine, etc. If that isn't the case I would test as many parameters as possible and see where that takes you. How old are the cartridges for your RO and when was the membrane last changed? Also why are you running carbon 24/7? Do you have a lot of softies and LPS in your system? If not the carbon is probably just pulling out some trace elements, etc. If you are skimming heavy I doubt you need the rowaphos unless you're seeing an algae build up. It's not always easy to get the right balance but sps still needs some nutrients to thrive.

Last edited by Oceanic; 07-05-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:09 PM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee

I had problems awhile back when I forgot to dose my iodine weekly. I started again and whenever I dose with iodine i get a good reaction of expansion with my softies. I also use Lugols and I'm too cheap to get an iodine test kit. So I've been dosing 3-4 drops of Lugols every week to 600g of water volume. One tank is heavy LPS and another tank is heavy SPS.
Oceanic - whats your water volume to Lugol drops ratio?
Old 07-05-2008, 05:14 PM

Oceanic is on a distinguished road

I dose 4 drops weekly to 160 gallons, I find this gives me the best results and I also do not test for iodine.

Lugols directions does say to dose 1 drop per 25G per week. This would be 6 drops for me; however, I have just stuck to 4. I also dose 8 drops of Kent Fe (iron) monday and friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin_Lee View Post
I had problems awhile back when I forgot to dose my iodine weekly. I started again and whenever I dose with iodine i get a good reaction of expansion with my softies. I also use Lugols and I'm too cheap to get an iodine test kit. So I've been dosing 3-4 drops of Lugols every week to 600g of water volume. One tank is heavy LPS and another tank is heavy SPS.
Oceanic - whats your water volume to Lugol drops ratio?
Old 07-05-2008, 05:16 PM

niloc16 is on a distinguished road

i have NEVER dosed iodine, maybe its something i should look into. my carbon is in a filter sock but all water through the sump is forced through it. actually i have never dosed anything aside from using rowaphos. the only thing that has changed in the last month or so is switching to seachem reef salt. ca and alk was a lot better in this salt over IO. i honestly dont know why i ever leave IO, ive never had problems with it and the 2 times i tried different salts something happens. initially i was getting really good results from the seachem but maybe in the end, this is the problem

my tank setup
Old 07-05-2008, 05:20 PM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee

Colin
i woudl consider dosing iodine if you are running carbon all the time. Carbon unfortunately absorbs the good, the bad and the ugly.