Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-24-2009, 04:54 PM

Abbyreefer is on a distinguished road
Default couple of questions

Its been a while since I've started a tank but the other day I finally finished the stand for my 65 gal tank and filled it with RO/DI water WOO HOO !!! Anyways I then added the salt (instant ocean) put in 3 koralia power heads and a heater and let it all mix. Well 3 days later and the salt water is still cloudy, not super cloudy that you cant see anything but cloudy enough that its very noticable. I cant reemmber when I had my previous 95 gal tank if I had the same thing.. Is that normal ? How long does it take to go away ?
Also I found out my sump was leaking after I started to see the puddle on the floor. So after a few choice words and some frantic syphoning to get the sump empty and out I notice on one side it was a very slow small lead but after a few days is when I got the puddle. Anyways I've taken the sump out and used WELDON PVC clear around all of the seams just to be sure ( 2 coats so far ) but was wondering how is that going to be for the fish in the tank (much later on) will it leak any toxic chemicals or am I safe ?

Thanks in advance with any advice.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

cloudiness is fine, once you add your rock it will go away (introduction of bacteria). The glue should be fine as well, once it's cured. Although I'm not sure PVC glue will seal glass or acrylic, and I'm pretty sure your sump isn't PVC
Old 04-24-2009, 05:13 PM

lol.. no the sump isnt pvc I used it for my PVC piping its actually WELDON 765 or something like that. The rep at the plumbing store said it could also be used for acrylic. Before the sump goes underneath I was going to put it in the bathtub and fill it up for a few days to make sure its good I'll probably even do 1 more coat although I was pretty generous with my application for the 1st 2 coats I was more concerned about any toxins going back into the tank because it is on the inside of the sump where I applied it. Also by curing do you just mean drying ?
Old 04-24-2009, 05:19 PM

Aquatic Addictions is on a distinguished road

What you want to use for a more sure seal with acrylic would be WELD-ON 3 .

Once dried, the product should be useable in a few hours to a day (to be safe).

Dan
Old 04-24-2009, 05:39 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

If there is sand on the bottom that may be the culprit as well.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:48 PM

No sand in the tank yet, just water and salt with powerheads and heater.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:13 PM

Ok just found out its weldon 795 that I have heres a link of the product http://www.pep-plastic.com/manufactu...specialty.html
Old 04-24-2009, 06:52 PM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbyreefer View Post
lol.. no the sump isnt pvc I used it for my PVC piping its actually WELDON 795 or something like that. The rep at the plumbing store said it could also be used for acrylic. Before the sump goes underneath I was going to put it in the bathtub and fill it up for a few days to make sure its good I'll probably even do 1 more coat although I was pretty generous with my application for the 1st 2 coats I was more concerned about any toxins going back into the tank because it is on the inside of the sump where I applied it. Also by curing do you just mean drying ?
Hmmm, I would wait a couple days before putting water back in your sump after using the Weldon 795 on acrylic. Depending on what exactly is in the 765, it could actually cause a chemical reaction with the acrylic causing "crazing"... You may even want to leave it outside in some sunlight to speed up the process if it is going to happen.

Crazing looks like spider web cracking of the acrylic, cause by stress, heat, or chemical solvents.

Ideally if the seam was leaking, and there wasn't a gap you can use Weldon 3 like Dan suggested; which would wick into the seam via capillary action. Should be applied from the inside. If there was a gap or chip missing, using Weldon 16 which is heavy bodied and thick, and you can use it similar to how you fillet fill a joint with silicone.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:15 PM

Thanks everyone and thank you Dan for offering to help wit the Weldon 3. My only other concern is the cloudiness of the salt water after 3 days.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbyreefer View Post
My only other concern is the cloudiness of the salt water after 3 days.
Normal