Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2007, 09:33 PM

Paradisius is on a distinguished road
Default Migoto Ryoushi

Actually, this is the name of my first Black Volitan Lionfish. Translates to "Beautfiful Hunter." Found this thread and though I would submit my thoughts:

In all the years I have been in the hobby, never bought one. Seen another beautiful Volitan Lionfish and thought, geesh maybe its time to try one.

1. What were the things you liked about this fish:
He's stunning and graceful. Since a child, I've been mesmerized.
2. Was it easy to keep?
Only had him for a month, and a day when the water turned brown we panicked, yet he still thrives. Water is back to prestine!
3. What foods did you have success feeding?
This one is tricky. Migoto eats only the "live" smaller fish. In the beginning, it was easy pickings, now he's gotta work at it. The one's left are pretty good at out smarting the fella. Have tried fresh jumbo prawns, but no luck.
4. Did you feed live foods?
Would like to "ween" it to eat mysis shrimp, and silversides, buit not sure how to approach the method of this. They are hard-wired for hunting smaller fish. So, we wait until all the smaller fish are consumed to decide the next step.
5. Did it hide during day, hide in rock till night?
He kinda hides during the day. But when the tank was familiar to him before moving things around, he pretty much floated along during the day. Spends mosy of his time upside-down against the back corner... wierd but kewl. Can't wait to see the "puppy" affect. Any ideas on how to accomplish this?
6.What tank mates did they eat?
Day one, tried to eat a clownfish, failed. Have a pic of that! Funny too, 'cause the little clown escaped just as they mouth re-opened to swallow it. Other than that, Migoto enjoys damsels of assorted varieties minus one: Yellow-tail.
7. How fast did yours grow?
Hasn't grown that much, considering it's only a month. He's at at least 6 - 8 inches already. Rumoured to grow to 15... good thing I have a 90.
8. What do you think the negatives of this fish are/were?
Hmmm, the only negatives I can mustre would be the lack of knowledge out there on how to wean them. But for the sheer beauty, I don't mind smacking down good cash on real fish he enjoys... Although, poisonus, just being respectful to them is utmost important. I clean the tank daily, yes arms in, and I watch where he is. If on the left, I clean the right. I also don't move my hands quickly in the tank to alert him to a deffensive status. In time, like all the the other fish over the years... he'll get used to the daily cleaning as part of his daily routine. LOL, KING of the tank. Bow down to none. He does enjoy the company of a juvenile harlequin sweetlips in tight confines. Wierd but true.

Anyone with solid help to weening the diet from daily "snacks" would be greatly appreciated.