Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-22-2013, 12:10 AM

Ginu is on a distinguished road

I was thinking and I think you should should somehow make a sandy beach area with a mangrove growing out of the sand and a little guy fishing off his boat at the end of the stairs.

I'm thinking the sandy beach area can be irigated by the same stream coming from the top of the rocks. As long as a grainier sans is used, you can use some sort of a strainer type material so it trickles down in the tank. A mini cool looking refugium as it will have at least a mangrove.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:34 AM

yellowworld is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
I was thinking and I think you should should somehow make a sandy beach area with a mangrove growing out of the sand and a little guy fishing off his boat at the end of the stairs.

I'm thinking the sandy beach area can be irigated by the same stream coming from the top of the rocks. As long as a grainier sans is used, you can use some sort of a strainer type material so it trickles down in the tank. A mini cool looking refugium as it will have at least a mangrove.
that sounds like a great idea but i have no clue where i would put all that haha i have a refugium in the sump. I will be putting a little fisherman on the dock somewhere and theres going to be a lighthouse built into the rock at the top, i think I've said to much as is but theres going to be a few more details to go along with it haha
Old 11-22-2013, 12:44 AM

Ginu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowworld View Post
that sounds like a great idea but i have no clue where i would put all that haha i have a refugium in the sump. I will be putting a little fisherman on the dock somewhere and theres going to be a lighthouse built into the rock at the top, i think I've said to much as is but theres going to be a few more details to go along with it haha

I think you could easily put it on top of the wave box stretching all the way to the dock. It will take a little bit of construction above the wave box but it can be done.

And yes lighthouse sounds wicked, I actually pictured that before you posted

Im sure one day I'll make something like this when I have time and need something to do, kids will eventually get older... Will have to steak a few ideas.

I do have to say this is one of the coolest if not the best ever high tech miniature build I've ever seen.

Thus belongs in a magazine

By the way where did you get the short extension cords for eb8 ? That's again a really cool idea.

Last edited by Ginu; 11-22-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
I think you could easily put it on top of the wave box stretching all the way to the dock. It will take a little bit of construction above the wave box but it can be done.

And yes lighthouse sounds wicked, I actually pictured that before you posted

In sure one day I'll make something like this when I have time and need something to do, kids will eventually get poker haha.

I do have to say this is one of the coolest if not the best ever high tech miniature build I've ever seen.

Thus belongs in a magazine

By the way where did you get the short extension cords for eb8 ? That's again a really cool idea.
Oh yeah! now you've got my head spinning haha there might be a way to incorporate something like that above the wave box haha now I'm starting day dream again haha

I got the cords from here they worked really well the only thing i had to do was shave down the casing on the second plug from the left on the top row and the same on the bottom row to allow them to fit just because of the way that EB8 spaced out the plugs

Im not to sure if its magazine worthy or not but i do have to say that i haven't found anything else like it haha thanks!!!
Old 11-22-2013, 05:42 PM

Default New twists and turns

I've got some more done on the walk way over the last day or so!

today I've got to drain the tank and do some work on the plumbing on the return line to increase the back pressure to push the water up to the upper pond, even with the bigger pump the flow isn't strong enough to get the water to the top but thats an easy fix. After that though its going to be my last update for a few weeks as i go back up to work but ill be ordering some more parts that should be here when i get back just begging me to put them to good use!
Old 11-22-2013, 07:10 PM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

it was just starting to get good to!
Old 12-12-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguy00 View Post
it was just starting to get good to!
well haha I'm back home again so we can get back on track with the good stuff!!

i got some more done on the boardwalk so here you go! - its grown!

Old 12-16-2013, 07:26 PM

Hey guys, so i think i might have a problem, I get back home from work and I'm starting to notice that some of the silicone in both my tank and my sump are starting to turn yellow, its both the factory silicone as well as the silicone that i did. so i emptied the tank and sump and gave them both a good scrub to see what was up but it didn't come out at all, there is no algae on the glass, there was a few small spots of a dark brown algae on the yellowed out silicone but thats all! so now I'm starting to get conceded I've never seen this before especially seeing that its both the factory and aftermarket silicone, ill get a few pictures up too

any one have any suggestions?
Old 12-16-2013, 07:44 PM

This is the factory silicone, it seems to have turned yellow the whole way through

This is the silicone that i did, and it seems to be the same way as well, this is just a few spots

and this is the sump, and well its pretty much its own dam story and it worries me the most…

Old 12-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road

I find exposure to sunlight will cause that in SOME silicones, it happened to the one corner of my wife's tank that is exposed to sunlight but the rest of the tank is unaffected

No negative affects from what I've noticed on corals or structural integrity of the tank, just an eye sore

Tags
bowfront, custom, exposed rock, tunze, wavebox