Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-26-2007, 01:25 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

If your still looking for a cleaner tang I would highly recommend a bristletooth tang such as the gold-eye kole tang. Of all the tangs I have it cleans the best! Chevron tangs are also of the same family, it starts off as a bright orange tang with brown or purple stripes, yet as it gets old it will darken to brown.

I also second the recommendation of a Red Sea sailfin tang. I have one and the color changes are dramatic. I also keep it with a fox face. Lots of personality, but its doesn't do a lot of tank cleaning.

Other colorful fish, albeit small, that I would recommend would be a copperband butterfly, and a sixline wrasse. Both are colorful, and have some tank benefits.

Let us know what you decide!
Old 04-26-2007, 01:28 AM

Marinegeek101 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinegeek101 View Post
Hi I have a 32 gallon tank, with 2 percs and 1 mandarin. They are all doing fine. I was having trouble picking my next fish. Im thinking either a tiny blue tang or yellow tang. Just a heads up, I will be upgrading this summer to a 75 gallon. My tank is crawling with pods, I have a small refugium and also have 5 side cultures. Whats your advice? Ive read that blue tangs grow larger but need less place to swim(75 gallon) and yellow tangs grow only 7 inches and need 100 gallons. I have had my tank for a full year now. Any suggestions would be helpfull???? Pm with your suggestions please.

Sorry for hijacking

?????
Old 04-26-2007, 04:44 AM

seanoman is on a distinguished road

why not try the multicolour angel that J&L has for sale??? They're pricey but they would definately add the splash of colour you're looking for.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:36 PM

Bartman is on a distinguished road

Here's what I think I'm going to do, and in this order:

handful of Chromis
Carpenter's Wrasse
Powder Brown Tang - Acanthurus Japonicus
Yellow or Sailfin Tang

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Bartman; 05-12-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:44 AM

Any rebuttal to these choices?

Old 05-12-2007, 03:00 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

I think you picked some good choices. I would just suggest adding the Powder Brown before either the sailfin, or the yellow, as I have found both of those are more territorial then most tangs.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:33 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

We had a powder brown tang that completely terrorized all the other tank mates, his favorite fish to pick on was our foxface. I am amazed that our foxface didn't die from the stress the powder brown was putting on him. We no longer have the powder brown tang, however we do have a happy foxface. We did add a lavender tang (about a month ago) to our tank and everyone is getting along great. Also our lavender tang has a lot of personality as well as nice colouring. Check out www.themarinecenter.com (you may have to click on the pic of the fish you just searched for, for more info on it) there is a lot of info on many types of fish on this site. Nice to hear someone is doing their HW before buying the fish believe me I learned that leason the hard way!
Old 05-15-2007, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
We had a powder brown tang that completely terrorized all the other tank mates, his favorite fish to pick on was our foxface. I am amazed that our foxface didn't die from the stress the powder brown was putting on him.
This would be a concern for me. Is your Powder Brown an A. Japonicus or an A. Nigricans? Has anyone else had this experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer Rob View Post
My Foxface is only a so-so cleaner, it will only remove the bigger pieces of macro algae. The little White Cheeked Tang I just put in a couple of weeks ago is a real trooper!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer Rob View Post
Yup, he's an A. Japonicus, about 3" long. I got him as a fixer upper for $20 at King Ed's.
Rob, how do yours get along?

Old 05-15-2007, 04:08 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
This would be a concern for me. Is your Powder Brown an A. Japonicus or an A. Nigricans? Has anyone else had this experience?
Our powder brown was an A. Japonicus. I know ours was mean but I also know that the same type of fish can have different personalities. However I would not trust one with more peaceful fish. That being said our powder brown even picked on our cinnamon clown fish Also our tank at that time was a 65g with the foxface, powder brown tang, 2 clown fish, firefish, & 2 small damsels. Maybe if it was a bigger tank things might of been different, but believe it or not even our damsels (blue with yellow tails) were scared of the tang!!!!

Last edited by fishoholic; 05-15-2007 at 04:23 AM. Reason: added more info.