Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-19-2007, 04:53 PM

Finaddict is on a distinguished road

h i add some scissor tail gobies, i have 3 in a 90g and they hang out toghter and are always in the open.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:42 PM

Moogled is on a distinguished road

Aren't Royal Grammas jumpers as well?

Try several Anthias. I'm not sure if your tank will permit the additional bioload that comes with these fish, but they will bring your tank to life for sure.

IMO there's really no "perfect" fish for an aquarium. If you're looking for a strange fish, a Tassel Filefish would be an awesome choice too. Most of them are fairly docile, but some of the few may nip at corals.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:56 PM

fishmaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogled View Post

Try several Anthias. I'm not sure if your tank will permit the additional bioload that comes with these fish, but they will bring your tank to life for sure.

IMO there's really no "perfect" fish for an aquarium. If you're looking for a strange fish, a Tassel Filefish would be an awesome choice too. Most of them are fairly docile, but some of the few may nip at corals.
I guess I kind of hijacked the thread when I saw the carpenters wrasse. Not sure if jumpers are a concern or not for bartman.
Shaun.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:16 PM

Murminator is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Murminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogled View Post

It would have to be a single small anthias such as a dispar or bartlett....still very nice fish

I reserve the right to hijack any thread I want to!!

My carbon footprint is bigger than your carbon footprint !!!!
Old 04-19-2007, 08:03 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Scott, I don't see any rock cleaning fish in your list. A small tang like a yellow should be happy in your tank (if not, well you'll just have to get a bigger tank ) and will work wonders on the appearance of you rock. I like to think about how a fish is going to serve my reef when I'm looking for a new addition.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:23 PM

Bartman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmaster View Post
I guess I kind of hijacked the thread when I saw the carpenters wrasse. Not sure if jumpers are a concern or not for bartman.
Shaun.
Not to worry. Any discussion is helpful. I did have a Firefish at one point...but he carpet surfed. I thought there wasn't much jumping room at the back of the tank but apparently there was. My Royal Gramma (5 years with me) has never threatened to get airborn. I do like the look of a lot of wrasses but I would be concerned about jumping and my RG is a little territorial.

Rob, I thought my Foxface would do some rock maintenance but he merely picks and waits for other treats to come his way (from me). I would be interested in a small Tang(s) but I was looking for something to contrast the colours of the Foxface. Also, I like many of the Tang varieties but I want to keep in mind the size they might reach ultimately, considering my tank is only 4'. BTW, that colt I bought from you has an 18" spread now and hosts my 2 Oscellaris.

I understand Anthias are pretty messy so, only 1 for my tank I would imagine? Do they do alright singly as they are a schooling fish?

I appreciate the ideas. Please, keep them coming.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:32 AM

My Foxface is only a so-so cleaner, it will only remove the bigger pieces of macro algae. The little White Cheeked Tang I just put in a couple of weeks ago is a real trooper! It spends the whole day picking at the rock. The max size on them isn't too big, and I think they're too busy to even realize they're in a tank It's not at all like my Regal Tang that spends it's time patrolling the tank, making sure everything and everyone is in order.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:30 PM

Bartman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer Rob View Post
The little White Cheeked Tang I just put in a couple of weeks ago is a real trooper! It spends the whole day picking at the rock. The max size on them isn't too big, and I think they're too busy to even realize they're in a tank
Thanks Rob,

Is your White Cheeked Tang the A. Japonicus variety. Where did you get it. How big is it?

Old 04-25-2007, 10:34 PM

Yup, he's an A. Japonicus, about 3" long. I got him as a fixer upper for $20 at King Ed's.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:25 AM

Marinegeek101 is on a distinguished road

Hi I have a 32 gallon tank, with 2 percs and 1 mandarin. They are all doing fine. I was having trouble picking my next fish. Im thinking either a tiny blue tang or yellow tang. Just a heads up, I will be upgrading this summer to a 75 gallon. My tank is crawling with pods, I have a small refugium and also have 5 side cultures. Whats your advice? Ive read that blue tangs grow larger but need less place to swim(75 gallon) and yellow tangs grow only 7 inches and need 100 gallons. I have had my tank for a full year now. Any suggestions would be helpfull???? Pm with your suggestions please.

Sorry for hijacking

Last edited by Marinegeek101; 04-26-2007 at 01:27 AM.