Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 08-02-2011, 07:12 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road
Default Things that make you shake your head!!

Found the story below on Small Dead Animals website.. www.smalldeadanimals.com

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/V...497/story.html

Last edited by jorjef; 08-02-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:43 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Makes you go "hmmm...."

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:22 PM

poleyc is on a distinguished road
Default !!!!!!!!

Free Crack Pipes!!!!!!!! And to think all Saskatchewan ever gives out is phone books!!!!! I wonder if they are stamped with the 2010 olympic logo cause that would be sweet I would totally collect one.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:37 PM

parkinsn is on a distinguished road

Ummmm WTF?
Old 08-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

smokin' deal.

why can't they give out vortechs and stuff for addicted reefers?
Old 08-02-2011, 10:19 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

As stupid as it may seem on the surface, I think it's a good idea. It's the same as handing out clean syringes. Yes, it would be awesome to see drugs off the street but that really isn't realistic (if you have ever lived in or near the DTES of Vancouver, you know what it's like and the people it attracts).

Look at it this way. There is always going to be a population of drug-addicted users no matter what measures we put in place to prevent it. There are always going to be those people who are just gonna f-up their life with drugs. Unfortunately, this leads to a spread of disease which can easily be spread to non-users (dirty needles, prostitution, etc). If someone wants to go f-up their life with drugs, you're not really goin to be able to do a whole lot about it, so you may as well let them do it in a padded cell of sorts that can reduce the physical damage to them (by disease) and, by extension, to non-users.

The same goes with free drug programs. I'd love to see those addicted get their fix from a safe, controlled source (ie. Dispensed) and put the gangs that distribute the drugs out of business rather than having them running around my city killing people. Also, with free drug programs it removes the cost to those addicted so that they are not desperate for their next fix and are going to stab you to death on the street for the change in your pocket.

Sure, these programs are not perfect but few people realize that they are studies toward finding a solution. The USA is a prime example that prohibition doesn't work, unbridled drug markets don't work either. We have to find a creative solution that lies between the two that minimizes the impact of drugs on society.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
smokin' deal.

why can't they give out vortechs and stuff for addicted reefers?
Agreed. Darn near close to turning tricks for that next upgrade (kidding... Sort of...)
Old 08-02-2011, 10:58 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

Only problem is where does it end? what about the people addicted to alcohol and gambling that have become non productive members of society? are they up next to the "dole dispensing agencies" . This is a slippery slope in todays bleeding heart overerly empathic governments we have today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
As stupid as it may seem on the surface, I think it's a good idea. It's the same as handing out clean syringes. Yes, it would be awesome to see drugs off the street but that really isn't realistic (if you have ever lived in or near the DTES of Vancouver, you know what it's like and the people it attracts).

Look at it this way. There is always going to be a population of drug-addicted users no matter what measures we put in place to prevent it. There are always going to be those people who are just gonna f-up their life with drugs. Unfortunately, this leads to a spread of disease which can easily be spread to non-users (dirty needles, prostitution, etc). If someone wants to go f-up their life with drugs, you're not really goin to be able to do a whole lot about it, so you may as well let them do it in a padded cell of sorts that can reduce the physical damage to them (by disease) and, by extension, to non-users.

The same goes with free drug programs. I'd love to see those addicted get their fix from a safe, controlled source (ie. Dispensed) and put the gangs that distribute the drugs out of business rather than having them running around my city killing people. Also, with free drug programs it removes the cost to those addicted so that they are not desperate for their next fix and are going to stab you to death on the street for the change in your pocket.

Sure, these programs are not perfect but few people realize that they are studies toward finding a solution. The USA is a prime example that prohibition doesn't work, unbridled drug markets don't work either. We have to find a creative solution that lies between the two that minimizes the impact of drugs on society.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjef View Post
Only problem is where does it end? what about the people addicted to alcohol and gambling that have become non productive members of society? are they up next to the "dole dispensing agencies" . This is a slippery slope in todays bleeding heart overerly empathic governments we have today.
Totally dude. And these are the same arguments that I have against these particular methods as well. We don't have a system that solves the problem nor are these programs the catch all solution. But we need to try things to find solutions, or rather form a framework that begins to contain the issue. Where do the "dole" programs end?... I dunno... but I feel OK with them being implemented in areas where, if they exist, it can make it safer for the non-addicted and the addicted alike.

Don't construe these initiatives as being empathetic; they're probably far from it as it keeps those addicted addicted, which is more of a hell than any prison sentence or punishment that we can give someone (ask anyone who knows someone who was or is addicted). All these are doing is recognizing that empathic initiatives (like trying to rehabilitate each and every addicted user) don't work for those who don't want the help. So, if it is a problem that you can't fix, you may as well try to find ways to contain it and make it safer for those involved and the society that surrounds it.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:21 PM

don.ald is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjef View Post
actually they are up next. a lot of discussion on giving out alcohol at shelters to get people to come in off the streets. most likely already in practice.

it's a way of life called "harm reduction" been around for a long time and it's getting better as more people understand that harm reduction is better for a safer society. as well, there is the argument that it lessens health care costs over the long turn. Pay now or pay later.