Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 01-07-2016, 08:38 PM

LeanneP is on a distinguished road
Default Converting a maxi jet 1200 for pump on calcium reactor

I have purchased a maxi jet to use as my pump for my calcium reactor but I have only found one sight that explains how to convert it and I am a little confused This is the article:

"Finally, the best way I have found that provides good effluent flow stability for the money is to feed the reactor by using a power head. A Maxi-Jet 1200 seems to be well suited to do so.

You can connect the reactor inlet line to the discharge of the power head in a couple of different ways.

First, it is important to notice that the power head is designed to pump a lot more water than what the reactor will require so the small volume of water will not provide for proper cooling of the power head and the increase in temperature will promote calcium carbonate precipitation in the power head shaft eventually ceasing the pump rotor and getting it stuck.

To prevent this and also in the interest of providing a more stable pressure in the inlet, I recommend providing an outlet for part of the water so it returns back to the sump thus creating more flow through the power head. To do this is rather simple.

Instead of connecting your feed line directly to the power head outlet, connect the line to the coupling that comes with the power head, the one that has a hole originally to be used for the injection of air to the power head, then just insert the coupling to the power head outlet. For further reference, this is the cylindrical coupling that support the fan like piece used to redirect the power head flow. Remove the fan like piece; cut away the two little pins that support the fan like piece and you will have it ready to insert a hose into it.

You can also use a tap to thread the inside of the coupling and install a John Guest connector to attach a ¼” poly line to it. (see picture 13)."

I have the John Guest connector they talk about so I am assuming that is where the feed line for the calcium reactor goes into. But they talk about too much flow so I am wondering if I should just take the plug out from where the air line would go so the extra flow goes there? Is that enough flow reduction?
Also there is nothing to thread to on the coupling so I was wondering if I can silicone the pieces together with aquarium silicone?
Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Leanne
Old 01-07-2016, 09:55 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Honestly, it would probably be easier to splice in a JG valve on your return line and feed the reactor with that.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Honestly, it would probably be easier to splice in a JG valve on your return line and feed the reactor with that.
I already tried that. I was getting too much air in the line and the flow wasn't consistent.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:18 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Where does the air come from? Shouldn't be any air in the return line or your tank would be full of bubbles!
Old 01-07-2016, 10:25 PM

Okay, actually, I had it plumbed into the line going from sump to the chiller. I put a T in the line. Would it make a difference which one it was in? There was air coming in from somewhere. I am definitely not a plumber so I figured a pump might be easier
Old 01-07-2016, 10:52 PM
Just a guy..

Chiller line should work as well. I can't see where air is getting in, unless the pump intake is right beside the skimmer output. I use my return line and no air gets in at all. A pump could work, but I'd get a small pond pump over a maxijet. Either way, you'll need to rig up some connection to the pump.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:07 AM

iamfrontosa is on a distinguished road

I am also using a maxi jet 1200 to feed my calcium reactor .. I like the extra flow in the sump that the maxi jet gives out.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:24 AM

iamfrontosa is on a distinguished road

I used the plumbing glue to connect the feed line to the power head air line slot (seems to be holding well so far); I also added a valve to regulate the amount of flow into the feed line and, If I need to clean the power head, I can just disconnect here. On the powerhead outlet end, I used a clear vinyl tube with another valve. I am not at home right now, otherwise, I would take a picture how I got mine done.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfrontosa View Post
I used the plumbing glue to connect the feed line to the power head air line slot (seems to be holding well so far); I also added a valve to regulate the amount of flow into the feed line and, If I need to clean the power head, I can just disconnect here. On the powerhead outlet end, I used a clear vinyl tube with another valve. I am not at home right now, otherwise, I would take a picture how I got mine done.
Thanks Ian. So just to clarify, you are using the smaller hole for the feed line to the ca reactor. It seems like it would be easier to use the larger powerhead outlet for the reactor line because I already have the fitting for it but I am guessing then there would be too much flow and pressure? Good idea about using the valves to regulate the flow. Are you just using regular plumbing glue? Thanks for your help. I wasn't thinking of valves so that answers my question about regulating the flow. Wish me luck as this has been never ending to setting up this reactor. Everything seems to have gone wrong. Thanks again.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:45 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I realize you already have the maxijet, but thought it worth mentioning I use an AquaClear powerhead (similar to maxijet) to feed my skimmer. The AquaClears have a lever at the intake side that allows you to regulate the output. Not sure it could be throttled down enough for your purpose, but would certainly keep the plumbing situation simpler, which is usually a good thing. Similar price as a maxijet, so not a huge investment if you can find one.