Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-28-2015, 05:12 PM
Aquattro's Avatar
Aquattro Aquattro is offline
Just a guy..
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 18,053
Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samw View Post
Just wrap the first 4' around a cord wrap. Now it is 2' to the quick connect.
No, Apex is 6 feet away. Just doing anything doesn't make the fact that a quick connect wouldn't be a good idea.
__________________
Brad
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-28-2015, 05:47 PM
Samw's Avatar
Samw Samw is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Yaletown Vancouver
Posts: 2,650
Samw is on a distinguished road
Default

Oh, I thought this thread started about wanting a quick disconnect.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-28-2015, 05:49 PM
Aquattro's Avatar
Aquattro Aquattro is offline
Just a guy..
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 18,053
Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samw View Post
Oh, I thought this thread started about wanting a quick disconnect.
Right. Not sure what you're reading that goes away from that
__________________
Brad
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-28-2015, 06:03 PM
Samw's Avatar
Samw Samw is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Yaletown Vancouver
Posts: 2,650
Samw is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Right. Not sure what you're reading that goes away from that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Why do powerhead manufacturers not put a quick disconnect a couple feet from the pump?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
a quick connect wouldn't be a good idea.
Assuming a quick disconnect and a quick connect are the same things, the thread started with you wanting it and then saying that it is not a good idea?

Last edited by Samw; 02-28-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-28-2015, 06:04 PM
Aquattro's Avatar
Aquattro Aquattro is offline
Just a guy..
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 18,053
Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough
Default

My English may be off, not enough coffee. connect, disconnect, same thing, opposite ends. Good idea.
__________________
Brad
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-28-2015, 06:15 PM
Samw's Avatar
Samw Samw is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Yaletown Vancouver
Posts: 2,650
Samw is on a distinguished road
Default

Ok, yeah, I misread that. You put in a double negative. So like I said, use a cord wrap and you got yourself a 2' quick disconnect instead of a 6' quick disconnect. You can then disconnect the pump from 2' away (The nice thing is that this is configurable so you can make it 3', 4' or 5' away). You can then clean the pump (the cord wrap follows the pump of course) and reconnect it afterwards.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-28-2015, 06:21 PM
Aquattro's Avatar
Aquattro Aquattro is offline
Just a guy..
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 18,053
Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samw View Post
Ok, yeah, I misread that. You put in a double negative. So like I said, use a cord wrap and you got yourself a 2' quick disconnect instead of a 6' quick disconnect. You can then disconnect the pump from 2' away (The nice thing is that this is configurable so you can make it 3', 4' or 5' away). You can then clean the pump (the cord wrap follows the pump of course) and reconnect it afterwards.
That makes no sense. Pump is at A. Controller is at B. Distance from A to B is 6' that travels behind tank through all the other poorly designed cords. I still have to unplug from controller and fish it back and forth regardless of how tidy the pump end is.
What I want is to unplug at the pump, leave other end hanging, clean pump and hook back up without fishing it through the back of the tank.
__________________
Brad
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-28-2015, 07:02 PM
Samw's Avatar
Samw Samw is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Yaletown Vancouver
Posts: 2,650
Samw is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
That makes no sense. Pump is at A. Controller is at B. Distance from A to B is 6' that travels behind tank through all the other poorly designed cords. I still have to unplug from controller and fish it back and forth regardless of how tidy the pump end is.
What I want is to unplug at the pump, leave other end hanging, clean pump and hook back up without fishing it through the back of the tank.

Isn't this what you want?

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-28-2015, 08:18 PM
Aquattro's Avatar
Aquattro Aquattro is offline
Just a guy..
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 18,053
Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samw View Post
Isn't this what you want?
Sure. But I don't need to wrap cord. As your diagram suggests, all I need is a quick disconnect 2 feet before the pump. Surplus wire can hang out with it's buddy Mr Apex.
__________________
Brad
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-28-2015, 09:39 PM
Samw's Avatar
Samw Samw is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Yaletown Vancouver
Posts: 2,650
Samw is on a distinguished road
Default

So given what is available in this world, you would rather go with no quick disconnects rather than wrap a little bit of cord.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.