Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-13-2013, 11:22 PM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road
Default Scoly problem!!

My scoly has looked a little deflated for the last few days and one of the sides has been curled up a little bit. It's not showing the skeleton or anything , but last night I tried feeding it and it did not have its feeders out which is not normal. Today I noticed underneath I could see some white strings so I lifted it up and took a pic. I'm assuming they are mesenterial filaments? I have seen something similar from a coral when they "spit out there guts" so to speak ,but usually from the mouth, never around the edge on the bottom like this. I also noticed a small bristle worm inside the bottom of the skeleton when I flipped it over. If anyone has any ideas why its doing this that would be much appreciated , thanks.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:43 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

Sometimes my Acan war coral has those same things come out of it and "I believe" they are stingers that sting and digest other corals if they "sense" them. any chance that it got moved closer to another thing or something fell beside it?

Also sometimes my brain coral will be deflated and not eat for a few days and looks kinda sick but after like 2 days its inflated and healthy

The coral you have looks healthy still so i wouldn't do anything drastic maybe dip it if your worried in like coral Rx
Old 12-13-2013, 11:58 PM
Jedi Master Reefer

No other coral has moved close to it recently , I have been battling cyano on the sandbed for the past few weeks, which could possibly be irritating it.

My open brain does the same thing as well , looks shrivelled up for a couple days and then opens up better than ever , but have never seen my scoly do this , and I've had it for over a year.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:06 AM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

Hrm weird idk then
Old 12-14-2013, 05:06 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Now I just noticed a small tear in the flesh on the top of the scoly about 2 or 3 mm. Not sure whats going on
Old 12-14-2013, 07:27 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Old 12-14-2013, 11:27 AM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

That last picture looks to me like someone is nipping at it.
What kind of fish or shrimp are you keeping in there?

Old 12-15-2013, 08:16 PM
Jedi Master Reefer

Update :

Looks like its starting to just disintegrate , has a bunch of holes all over the place. Dipped in coral rx and two worms came out of the skeleton , looked like bristle worms but there are so many different types of worms who knows.

Nothing nipping at it because I put a 2 litre bottle top over it to protect it from the flow a little bit.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:36 PM

JohnnyReeftank is on a distinguished road

I've had this happen to my premium acans before.....these fat deep orange/red bristle worms seemed to be the culprit but I didn't understand why considering I hadn't introduced anything new to my tank for months before the sudden attacks. Like I mentioned they only took out my brightest, most colourful colonies and left me with 3 dull colonies even though they were scattered amongst the infected ones. They receded for a few days, then holes appeared, then one morning they receded and showed their skeletons a bit...the next morning the tissues were white and jellylike....the next morning only skeletons left.
Someone please help this guy because this sucks! Especially to such a nice Scoly!
Old 12-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

i had peppermint shrimp eat an acan in a similar way. do you have any and would they fit through those slits?