Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 09-20-2009, 12:26 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

I recommend this for a TV... 3D anyone?

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/09/17...valing-techno/

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 09-20-2009, 12:58 AM

Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullit67 View Post
There are a few questions I ask when some tells me they want a projector

1. how close is the closest seat
2. do you have complete light control in the room (i.e. keeping sun light out)
3. Is your house dusty (i.e. do you have pets) birds are real bad for dust

I have seen a lot of people spend alot of money on a projector and end up not liking the results because of poor planning.

The other thing is spend the money now or later dont completely cheep out on HT gear you are lucky that there is some real nice gear for good prices now on the market

Tack a look at Onkio receivers real good bang for the buck

as for speakers
Energy
PSB
Klipsch

all make real good products to get you started

Agreed, 100% I'd also like to ask the size of your room.

As for speakers I would take a good look at some internet direct dealers. Axiom and Aperion to name a couple. Look to SVS for subs.. you won't be dissapointed.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:02 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullit67 View Post
There are a few questions I ask when some tells me they want a projector

1. how close is the closest seat
2. do you have complete light control in the room (i.e. keeping sun light out)
3. Is your house dusty (i.e. do you have pets) birds are real bad for dust

I have seen a lot of people spend alot of money on a projector and end up not liking the results because of poor planning.

The other thing is spend the money now or later dont completely cheep out on HT gear you are lucky that there is some real nice gear for good prices now on the market

Tack a look at Onkio receivers real good bang for the buck

as for speakers
Energy
PSB
Klipsch

all make real good prducts to get you started
all seats will be 12 feet away, the projector will be 12 feet back also. and yes I have complete light control.

Have a cat and a dog. as for dust yes, but it is because of a bad furnace filter design, we are getting a new furnace so that will be fixed.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:04 AM

well it is a weird design, the theater area is 13 long by 12 wide, but on the side there is another 12 feet to the one wall and then it does a l shape. it is not a dedicated theater, but rather a theater/bar/family room.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Agreed, 100% I'd also like to ask the size of your room.

As for speakers I would take a good look at some internet direct dealers. Axiom and Aperion to name a couple. Look to SVS for subs.. you won't be dissapointed.
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 09-20-2009, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post

I was looking at the Axiom QS4 v2's what would you opinion be on using these for all the speakers instead of just the rear surounds?

Steve

Old 09-20-2009, 02:04 PM

Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
I was looking at the Axiom QS4 v2's what would you opinion be on using these for all the speakers instead of just the rear surounds?

Steve
The QS4's would be great surround speakers. They are bipole/dipole Axiom calls them Quadpolar. They are designed to disperse the sound creating a wide sound field. They wouldn't perform well as mains or a center channel.

From Axiom I'd recommend:
2 ea M60's for mains - ( you won't have trouble driving these speakers with a receiver from all the main players. The M80's are beautiful speakers but can dip below 2ohms which can make them difficult to power.
Depending on your room layout you could also scale down to M22's for mains.
1 ea VP150 for Center
4 ea QS4's for surrounds. - also depending on your room layout you could save a few dollars and go to direct firing rear surrounds such as the M2 or M3 and go with one pair of QS4's for side surrounds.

Axiom has a free in home trial period also, so if you don't like them you can return them with no questions asked.

Also if you look on the Axiom forums under the Hearing Things section you can look for people in your area who have offered to let people hear their set-ups. This way you can demo without the hassle of shipping.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:32 PM

Ok here is an aprox layout of the room, the projector screen is red and will be a 92" screen. the brown retangle is the couch. purple is the speakers, and the brown outline in the L" area are the bar cabnets. I was thinking using a 5.1 setup for the actualy movie watching, but having two other speakers on the fireplace wall so I can do 7 channel sterio when I am listining to music and socilizing at the bar.

layout.jpg

Steve

Old 09-20-2009, 04:57 PM

bullit67 is on a distinguished road

The layout looks good you should be OK with a 92 inch screen at 12 feet. One thing I suggest is that you put in heat registers that you can close when you run the projector it will help to keep the dust down if you dont have air blowing around in the room.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:31 PM

Pescador is on a distinguished road

I used a DIY screen kit from these guys, it turned out pretty good.
http://www.diytheatre.com/

Our room is basically the same shape and multi-function too but the screen wall is angled more facing the corner so 7.1 worked out pretty well.
110g mangrove refug/sump
Poison Dart Frog Vivarium
Old 09-20-2009, 06:47 PM

Clay&Chey is on a distinguished road

I will have to put my 2 cents in for denon 4308 reciever even though it is a bit pricey you get what you pay for. It's an awesome amp. It does anything you need it to plus it comes with a mic that you use to set up the audessy eq. You basically move the mic around to 8 or positions in your sitting area and it figures out the optimal levels for all your speakers and each ones optimal eq settings. With a good set of speaker the sound puts a smile on your face. I also went with axiom speakers and it was a pleasure dealing with them. I got the epic 80 theater setup with upgrades. I have A pair of m80's v2 up front, my center is vp150 v2, my sides and rears are the qs8 v2 so 4 of them and my sub is the huge ep600 v2. The speakers really are something and axioms service was a pleasure to deal with. I considered the 1080p projector but to always having to control the light even just so you can seevwhat song to choose when you want background noise was to much of a pain. I went with a 1080p 52" LCD and have been happy ever since.

Tek light 8 bulb fixture, tunze nano wave box, vortech mp-20, rowaspas reactor, carbon, hydor preformer 600 skimmer, quiet one 6000 return