Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-16-2006, 03:13 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road
Default Flame didn't make it... Need new fish suggestions.

Well, I am about to give up on fish alltogether.

I don't know what happened... the fish lived in my tank happy and healthy for nearly 2 weeks, it ate every time I fed. Then on Tuesday evening after work I came home, fed the tank.. and he didn't eat. This was odd.. I inspected him and yes I do admit to seeing a coulpe ick spots, but that's nothing serious, it's had a couple spots since I introduced it, and they all went away after feeding with Garlic. Well, when I woke up Wednesday morning... the flame was dead. I really don't think it was ick, as I had never seen the fish look too bad. I am HOPING it was not from the tank size , and unseen stress or something.

But now , I don't know what to do... all's I do know, is that I give up on expensive fish. I need to stick to small, tough fish. So.. please folks, can you give me some suggestions as to a smaller sized tough fish?? I like colour, and active fish. I feel bad... had I noticed anything wrong sooner I would have gotten it out and into someone elses system or to someone who could have QT'd him.

RIP little guy

Last edited by OCDP; 03-16-2006 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:24 PM

Invigor is on a distinguished road

i've gone thru 3 flames, a potters, 2 copperband butterflies..feel better?
Old 03-16-2006, 03:25 PM

SJSobczyk is on a distinguished road

Scott,

Sorry to hear about your loss. I have had a couple of mysterious deaths before and sometimes there is not too much you can do about it. Alot of stress on these little buggers coming from the ocean to our tanks.

Why dont you just hold off and keep your current livestock until you get your other tank setup? Or is that sidelined for now?

Steve
Old 03-16-2006, 03:31 PM

I know that things happen.. it's just annoying after the first 5 losses or so you start to feel like you should stop buying fish for good.

Steve, I won't be adding anymore fish to my system until the new one is up, no worries there. It has been sidelined, but not for long at all. I am ordering my Aqualight Pro today or tomorrow, once I have that all's I need is my cube and the stand... the rest is all small stuff. Should be a fun project.

Here's a dumb question.. but I'm curious:

Say I had a bad ick problem and it's in my system ... when I move to a new tank, would the ick somehow just go away? hahah, that sounds dumb.. but would it die if I switch everything over to a new tank? Adding new sand, cleaning old sand, cleaning the rocks... would this remove the parasite? I know it's a silly question and I figure it's a long shot.. but I am curious.

Thanks guys,
Scott
Old 03-16-2006, 03:50 PM

allincuddy is on a distinguished road
Default Ick

Scott, ick is always present in the water system, it is only when the fish are weak or stressed do the get it. I believe there is no way to get rid of ick from the water, but prevention is to keep fish healthy and non-stressed.
This applies to fresh water and if there is a difference in sw please advise Scott differently.
Thanks
Old 03-16-2006, 03:59 PM

TheReefGeek is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you just got unlucky.

You can try some colorfull gobies, or anthias maybe.

Old 03-16-2006, 04:18 PM

Murminator is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Murminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReefGeek
anthias maybe.

Not in a 20G

I reserve the right to hijack any thread I want to!!

My carbon footprint is bigger than your carbon footprint !!!!
Old 03-16-2006, 04:25 PM

Oops. Should mention , any new fish will be going into my 45g cube when it's up and running . Just so we're all clear

I don't really care for Anthias too , too much... but they are colorful fish..

I am definitely looking for suggestions for fish... tough fish that would be able to fight off or at least somewhat fight off parasites.. and something colorful.... and active hahah

Please let me know your suggestions
Old 03-16-2006, 04:53 PM

midgetwaiter is on a distinguished road

Too bad to hear that Scott but at least you've learned from it.

Be a little bit more careful about choosing your livestock, if you see any reason to wonder about health, don't buy it. QT EVERYTHING. When you have your new tank you'll have the smaller one to use as a QT, put every piece of livestock you buy in there for a minimum of 2 weeks.

It is a big hassle to do the QT and it is tough to walk away from something you really want if there are questions but you'll be better off for it. I'm really bad for that.

Maybe try a Royal Gramma?
Old 03-16-2006, 04:56 PM

DanG is on a distinguished road

I just picked up 3 more chromis to add to the 2 I had already and they're doing a lot of schooling, and they're all over the tank. Mine are still a nice green. Depending on their diet they may lose some of their colour.