Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Q&A

Old 12-14-2012, 03:26 PM
BATfishMAN

Reef_Geek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
and how come the second fish does not eat food im confused
I think that picture is a new species of jacks... I think it's a Chatty Jack. Can't talk and eat at the same time.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:32 PM

windcoast reefs is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure the Red Sea has a salinity of 1.028-1.029 (or higher in some areas). I know someone in town that runs there tank at 1.028, seems to have good results so far. Seems the corals like it more than anything

I think the fish need to be adapted to that environment to do well, I would think it would be very stressful on a fish if it was a rapid change.

Last edited by windcoast reefs; 12-14-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:46 PM
BATfishMAN

Reef_Geek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by windcoast reefs View Post
I'm pretty sure the Red Sea has a salinity of 1.028-1.029 (or higher in some areas).

I think the fish need to be adapted to that environment to do well, I would think it would be very stressful on a fish if it was a rapid change.
That's neat! I did not know about the Red Sea salinity. Wiki says 41 ppt at the north end farthest away from Gulf of Aden, and 36 ppt at the end near Gulf of Aden.

That's a good point to add--whether lowering or raising salinity, the fish need exposure to gradual implementation. For example, ion exchange rates in gill and gastrointestinal cells are expelling salts at a steady rate and need time to adjust, so if you suddenly dropped salinity... ions continue to be steadily expelled while the body's expectation of natural influx of ions isn't there... the fish's salt balance goes out of whack for sodium, potassium etc... both will really screw up bodily functions. (Sodium and Potassium ions play major roles in muscle contractions).