Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #1

Old 09-23-2008, 10:54 PM

Nevin is on a distinguished road
Default Rules question

One month to get water in the tank doesn't allow much time for diy on the hardware. Would it be permissible to use other equipment (eg. lights) temporarily that won't be part of the final build?

Thanks,
Nevin
Old 09-24-2008, 12:30 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
One month to get water in the tank doesn't allow much time for diy on the hardware. Would it be permissible to use other equipment (eg. lights) temporarily that won't be part of the final build?

Thanks,
Nevin
I'm not sure I know what you are asking regarding the lights

I think one month is fair for DIY work... there is some exciting DIY work from the NR version, and I am following their guidelines as they have worked out most of the bugs...

EDIT: Anyone who wants to participate and does not yet see their name on the first post of this thread, please PM me, and let me know which category you want to be in.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988

Last edited by JDigital; 09-24-2008 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:51 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

Since the tank is free is it cool if I just use some left over glass I have kicking around to make my own?
Old 09-24-2008, 01:20 AM

Stab_Master_Arson is on a distinguished road

Are people willing to go higher than 10 gallons? maybe 1 5, 10, 20 or something.

Secondly, there are some bias in the rules. Those who have a lot of extra equipment lying around which can be deducted for 75 percent. There really shouldn't be any reduction in equipment. If people choose to go with used, it should still be valued at new pricing.

another, instead of setting medians for cheap livestock, why not just set a median for ALL livestock. Some people have to pay higher prices than others, depending where they live. So if John Doe can get a 3 head hammer for 20, Jane doe has to pay 50, why not just pic a cheap place like www.liveaquaria.com to use as a price guide for ALL livestock. A place like LA has almost every thing we can find here, so it is pretty complete. This way, everybody can add the same livestock for the exact same price deduction from their budget. Some people might have to to spend 600 bucks for their livestock, but it is valued at 300 while others can spend a dollar fiddy (if they can) on the same livestock from their "sources" and it will be valued as the same. SO saving money might benefit your wallet, but it won't give you any sort of advantage. People that have to pay more can go over their limit, so they can stalk an adequate tank and not be on ma disadvantage. regardless, socking costs will be evenly represented.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:30 AM

Another thing to note is the "freedie" items. Some people own this stuff already. Even though it's not included n the budget, it does make it more costly and difficult for people to compete. Saying this, a person with the freebies might have to spend 300, but a person without it will have to spend 500 plus making a larger economic burden on the people that have to buy the extra items which might force them to skimp on their livestock. Wouldn't it be better to include the freebies in the budget. That way, people can be frugal and increase their budget for livestock if they save mney elsewhere. This will add more financial planning into creating the system.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:32 AM

I guess a perfect example would be live rock. If people can make their rock stretch and save 4 pounds, they have enough extra to spend on livestock. This will make aquascaping more difficult and people talents will have to be exercised.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:47 AM

BTW guys.

Count me in

10 gallon
Old 09-24-2008, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stab_Master_Arson View Post
I guess a perfect example would be live rock. If people can make their rock stretch and save 4 pounds, they have enough extra to spend on livestock. This will make aquascaping more difficult and people talents will have to be exercised.
Items considered "Free":

- Contest Tank (Stock AGA 5.5G or 10G) Free (sump tanks come out of budget)
- building supplies (eggcrate, stand/canopy materials, plumbing, scrap acrylic)
- Sand
- Live Rock
- Water and Salt
- Food
- Supplements
- Accessories less than $15 (mag floats, tongs, thermometers, etc)
Old 09-24-2008, 02:04 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

1. Tank sizes are not changing. It's going to be close enough to get enough ppl for the two categories as it is, let alone to add a 3rd one.

2. Pricing, Used equipment is discounted at 25% off... which is 75% of the new cost. I personally don't have alot of used gear laying around, so there isn't really any bias in the rules on my part. This rule is in place for people buying used equipment and those who already have it. 25% is a fair discount to take off of used equipment IMO.

As for livestock, I will leave open for discussion for now, and speak with michika as well.

****Please remember****
I've done the best I can to alter this contest to fit into our forum here on Canreef, but the fact is that not everyone will be happy with the contest rules as they've been established. If you don't think that you can participate under the established guidelines, then your time and $$ is probably best spent on a tank that you truly will enjoy and keep in the long run.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 09-24-2008, 02:08 AM

We need to elaborate on what 'supplements' are; food supplements, or dosing supplements, or both.