Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-02-2011, 09:26 PM

GMGQ is on a distinguished road
Default Messy Filter Socks...

Does anyone have any suggestions on maybe an alternative to filter socks?

I used to use one, but it would get gunked up so fast with nasty crap, and it was a PAIN to clean it... and I cant justify throwing it in the washing machine...

???

2016/2017 180Gallon Build Coming Soon...
Old 02-02-2011, 09:30 PM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMGQ View Post
... and I cant justify throwing it in the washing machine...

???
Errr....why not ?

I have about a dozen socks. I change them out at least once a week and then dump them in a bucket full of water with a little bleach in it. When I'm down to a few clean socks, I pull the dirty ones from the bucket and run a load in the washing machine with nothing (no soap or bleach) and an extra rinse cycle.

Nice and clean.

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:31 PM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

I've been running no socks on my new tank, waters not as crystal clear as it used to be, but nitrates are near 0 which they wheren't with socks on. Also... not cleaning those things is GREAT!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:32 PM

...cuz I've got like... 2 :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDude View Post
Errr....why not ?

I have about a dozen socks. I change them out at least once a week and then dump them in a bucket full of water with a little bleach in it. When I'm down to a few clean socks, I pull the dirty ones from the bucket and run a load in the washing machine with nothing (no soap or bleach) and an extra rinse cycle.

Nice and clean.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:38 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMGQ View Post
...cuz I've got like... 2 :P
Then buy a couple more, store the dirty ones in a plastic bag and do them all at once when they are all dirty. That is what I do.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:52 PM

OK, well I'm not going to go out to buy a whack of filter socks just so that I can justify throwing them in the washing machine. I'm looking for a way to make life easier, not create more laundry :S

I guess the next logical question would be, is it even worth it to run filter socks? As Lampshade has suggested, these socks can tend to be bags of nitrates.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I stopped using my socks as well. Might be my imagination but my polyp extension seems to be better since removing them.

The downside is more particulate matter in the water column and throughout the sump. I imagine the skimmer gets more stuff to take out and there's less rotting in the sock. My nutrients may have gone down some I'm not sure but I do know the liverock compartment of my sump (where I do waterchanges from as well) has a lot more crap settling in it now. I can't easily access this area to suction it out so I may remove this rock from the system. Food for thought maybe...
Old 02-02-2011, 10:42 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I run my filter sock by itself in the washing machine. I get all a giddy if I can do 2 or 3 but for the most part it's an empty machine. You wouldn't really want anything else in with them.

It works amazingly well. Just a splash of bleach and away we go. I tried just rinsing them by hand really well between uses but that was no good, the smell even after rinsing was too much. Washing machine is the only way to go I think.

I went to 4" socks on my new tank and it's annoying as heck that I have to change them out every 3-4 days or so now though. I'm OK with once a week but more is too much. I am excited to try out some mesh socks as an alternative, just got them in from BRS yesterday. They are a nylon or something similar material, looks like they should just hose off clean and clog far less often. Might be something you want to look into if you're not comfortable with cleaning yours in the washing machine.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:44 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

BRS sells them super cheap, I bought 10 and just rotate them out. When all 10 are dirty they go threw two wash cycles, a sani cycle and then an extra long hot wash.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:01 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

These mesh ones don't filter to the same micron level tho do they?