Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-23-2010, 09:28 PM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
What's the blue stuff wrapped around the pump? I see you have it in the water as well.
was going to ask that as well the yellow and blue sponges that you have in tank. What are those for?
Old 04-23-2010, 09:38 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
What's the blue stuff wrapped around the pump? I see you have it in the water as well.
A few layers of foam to dampen the vibration from the pump. The pump comes with a foot that has suction cups but I found it a little annoying how it suctioned to the bottom of the sump. Plus, the foot added a little bit of width to the whole thing which I wanted to reduce :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleus View Post
was going to ask that as well the yellow and blue sponges that you have in tank. What are those for?
The sponges are dish sponges that are quite porous and I used to use them for bacteria culture when I migrated everything from my previous 90g to the new 150g. I was going to take them out but discovered that copepods love to use them as breeding grounds so I leave them in there now. They are so porous that they don't seem to gunk up as I've never had to rinse them out in the entire year that I've had them. It might also be because they float. I'm thinking of throwing a few more in there to use as bacterial seeds for my quarantine tank. That is, whenever I need to set up a quarantine, just grab some of these sponges and throw them into the QT tank. If things get bad and I have to treat the QT with say, copper, I can throw out the sponges and buy new ones with little impact to my wallet.

Last edited by kien; 04-23-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:44 PM

And here's a video of the reactor with the new plumbing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEyPg8tatDo
Old 04-23-2010, 09:55 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Wait, what, no HD video? Get with it man, I expect more from you. If they can film an entire episode of House on your camera then you can film pellets in HD.

Seriously, looks like a keen little setup for them pellets. Pun only semi intentional (noticed it after I typed it in, but think I'm gonna leave it in. )
Old 04-23-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Wait, what, no HD video? Get with it man, I expect more from you. If they can film an entire episode of House on your camera then you can film pellets in HD.

Seriously, looks like a keen little setup for them pellets. Pun only semi intentional (noticed it after I typed it in, but think I'm gonna leave it in. )
Actually I did film it 1080p HD :-) However, it takes YouTube a while to process it before you can access the HD version. In the meantime you're left with just the standard def conversion.

edit: the 1080p version is available now :-)
Old 04-23-2010, 10:07 PM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

it is great to get half Friday off huh?
Old 04-23-2010, 10:08 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

... oh.

Um .. could you pretend that there's something that's not ridiculously perfect? Mostly I'm just trying to avoid myself from spiralling headfirst into full blown depression. Lie if you have to.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:43 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
... oh.

Um .. could you pretend that there's something that's not ridiculously perfect? Mostly I'm just trying to avoid myself from spiralling headfirst into full blown depression. Lie if you have to.
LOL I just spit tea on my monitor

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:57 PM

So .. um .. wow, that's a lot of carbon. How often do you replace it? How come so much?
Old 04-24-2010, 04:27 PM

I typically only run a cup if rox 8 in one reactor that I change once a month. I'm just trying out a new system where I run half that amount (1/2 cup) in each reactor and replace one every 30 days. So, reactor 1 gets swapped out on the 15th if every month while reactor 2 gets swapped out on the 30th. The goal being a better transition from spent to new carbon. Just something to do I guess