Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 10:52 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

It made my day a little better to hear "Boris" is doing so well in your tank... yes, all the fish and eels had names

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
Wow Diana, very well said, I know how upset you have been today and this message made me teary! I agree with a sticky on transporting fish regardless of the distance, especially for those buying from other members. I myself have only bought one fish from someone's tank, the rest from the stores, so this is priceless information. Hopefully someone will speak up so something like this doesn't happen to anyone else.

Hugs!
Old 04-11-2012, 10:54 PM

Casey8 is on a distinguished road

It is a very very sad story I have tears in my eyes while I am reading your story. I understand how you feel because I treat my fish not just as livestock, they are my pets and I love them dearly. It will be a very sad day for me if one day I have to shut down my tank for any reasons. I think they are meant to live with you, and only with you. They would rather die than to live in someone elses tank.
My condolences.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Clearly my memory is far from gone...unfortunately.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:58 PM

I think an article would be good. One person that bought my foot long cowfish transported him in a large picnic cooler with a bubbler... she only transports fish in this fashion and I think all fish should have this. Sadly the rest of my fish did not get this option and they really should have and I should not have allowed them to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I have to believe that if they "knew better", they would not have killed fish that they paid for on purpose. Transporting large fish significant distances is tough, I've managed to kill a couple myself. I didn't know better, it happens.

If you're offering to write up a comprehensive transport article, we'll look at making it a sticky
Old 04-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Hi Diana,

I moved your thread as I felt it would get more views in the reef forum. Once everyone sees it and someone volunteers to write an article, it will get stickied in the proper forum.

Sorry to hear of your fish losses, I was horrified to read your story. I didn't think Bragg Creek was that far from Calgary (as one of your examples) and I suppose with your fish being larger some weren't prepared for the extra O2 requirements. I'd love to write the article myself but don't really feel qualified to do so.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:01 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2rotties View Post
I think an article would be good. One person that bought my foot long cowfish transported him in a large picnic cooler with a bubbler... she only transports fish in this fashion and I think all fish should have this. Sadly the rest of my fish did not get this option and they really should have and I should not have allowed them to go.
Personally I think with larger fish, a cooler and battery powered air pump are the only way to go. How some of the "show sized" fish make it here from their original collection point is beyond me

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:03 PM

I was a little shocked when the people that killed the majority of the fish did not have these things with them... especially for that kind of trip and the size of the fish. I can't do anything to bring back to life now, but I think all people should be educated on what to and not to do... I know what not to do now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
Personally I think with larger fish, a cooler and battery powered air pump are the only way to go. How some of the "show sized" fish make it here from their original collection point is beyond me
Old 04-11-2012, 11:10 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

For a newb like me, this isn't something I ever thought about. As there is a lot of trading of livestock between members, I guess it is assumed that people know what they are doing. I've tried to replicate what I've seen at the stores, but have not attempted long distances - just store to home. Myka's article is fantastic and one I will refer to again and again. As Christy stated, maybe there should be something written about larger fish transport. I have zero knowledge so I have nothing to say, but it would be nice if some experienced members could share.

ps "Boris" is happy (he'll keep his name), will post pics as he's out more.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:15 PM

My biggest blunder is I never, ever thought I would ever have to shut my tank down in the first place. I figured they would live out their lives in my tank and that was it... sometimes life deals us blows, and we do the best we can...

Since I never thought I would remove them, I never thought I could not trust experienced people in this hobby to not properly transport them.

I wish I had some vodka, but that would a bad thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralgurl View Post
For a newb like me, this isn't something I ever thought about. As there is a lot of trading of livestock between members, I guess it is assumed that people know what they are doing. I've tried to replicate what I've seen at the stores, but have not attempted long distances - just store to home. Myka's article is fantastic and one I will refer to again and again. As Christy stated, maybe there should be something written about larger fish transport. I have zero knowledge so I have nothing to say, but it would be nice if some experienced members could share.

ps "Boris" is happy (he'll keep his name), will post pics as he's out more.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:35 PM

With all due respect to this comment, if you buy nine fish and kill five of them, you are doing something terribly wrong. EPIC FAIL!!!

Hopefully members pull together and help me out with this article...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I have to believe that if they "knew better", they would not have killed fish that they paid for on purpose. Transporting large fish significant distances is tough, I've managed to kill a couple myself. I didn't know better, it happens.

If you're offering to write up a comprehensive transport article, we'll look at making it a sticky
Closed Thread