Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-21-2013, 02:35 AM

craigwmiller is on a distinguished road
Default Phosphate Testing

I just picked up an ELOS PO4 test kit, and it's reading zero, like super zero, no color change at all (and the color compare card shows that zero should be somewhat colored). Then I tested with TAP water, and again, crystal clear.

Does anyone else use the ELOS PO4 kit, and do you ever get crystal-clear results?

...Inside the new box/bag there was some (maybe a handful of drops) leakage during shipment/handling/etc which had mixed with something and was bright blue - not sure this would affect the contents of either bottle, more likely an air pressure change thing...

Is my new test kit bad, from the no color change at all? (I mainly worry since the printed card shows at least some color to be expected)

I'm concerned over PO4 right now since earlier today (before I went out to buy another kit) my Hanna meter gave me 0.15 and then 0.00 with 2 reagents (same lot #, but different reagent packages). And I'm not sure I can trust either, but moreover the 0 value really bugs me. There's always something when I test... 0.02, 0.03, something.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:16 AM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

I have the elos test kit and It's by far the best phosphate kit out there minus the Hanna checkers digital read out ( come on Santa)

Never had any issues

Make sure to look down the tube with lid off the color is VERY faint tint of blue it doesn't change like a nitrate test does
Old 12-21-2013, 01:03 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

With the Hanna, there are a few things you have to be careful with to ensure that you get consistent and accurate test results. But sure beats the heck out of all the color test kits. I used to think I had low phosphates, until I got the Hanna.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:40 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

I went through three Hanna colorimeter kits and found that I would get three different results with them no matter how careful and consistent my testing methods are. Now I use their results as a guideline vs an actual number. I think their testing method is pretty flawed so I'm just holding on until a more reliable test comes out. The chemical reaction they are using as the base may be spot on but it's not reliable.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:45 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
With the Hanna, there are a few things you have to be careful with to ensure that you get consistent and accurate test results. But sure beats the heck out of all the color test kits. I used to think I had low phosphates, until I got the Hanna.
Me too, I was shocked
Old 12-21-2013, 04:52 PM

craigwmiller is on a distinguished road

Well after much more prep and vial cleaning and careful testing, I think I have 0.00 phosphate, which is good I suppose.

I mainly got all in a panic since I added some base rock (15 lbs) about 6 weeks ago and some large dry rock (20 lbs) shelves about 2 months ago (the shelves at least cycled in a rubbermaid for a while) -- but on last test ~ 3 weeks ago it was around 0.08-ish, so dropping to 0 is odd, but 2 hanna tests, and 2 elos tests show nadda

...so I suppose I can trust the SPS:

Old 12-21-2013, 06:33 PM

Cal_stir is on a distinguished road

I have elos po4, it always reads 0, i have a hanna phosphorous ulr also and it read 32ppb = 0.098 ppm, I know for a fact that I don't have 0 po4 so I go by the hanna, I increased my gfo and my po4 has dropped to 11 ppb = 0.034ppm so I am inclined to believe the hanna.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:33 PM

I think general consensus is you want to keep it below 0.04ppm.Ive read some threads on RC showing making it absolute zero for too long had some decreased growth effects on certain Acro's after a few months. Ill look for the link

Edit found the link
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1168053
Old 12-21-2013, 06:37 PM

Hope I get a hanna checker for x-mas lol come on santa
Old 12-21-2013, 06:45 PM

Cal_stir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdillman View Post
I think general consensus is you want to keep it below 0.04ppm.Ive read some threads on RC showing making it absolute zero for too long had some decreased growth effects on certain Acro's after a few months. Ill look for the link

Edit found the link
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1168053
0.03 seems to be ideal as po4 is essential for life in plants, animals and bacteria.