Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 02-05-2010, 10:28 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

If a store is started in the deep south, remember that your cutting out anyone from the other side of calgary. To be honest 130th is basically only going to cater to anyone i that area. I think you guys should make a poll cause remember, the SW doesn't have a store either and the closest store to them is red coral and thats still at least a 30 min drive
Old 02-05-2010, 10:29 PM

Palmer is on a distinguished road

Not to derail this thread but...

I have thought about starting a business for other hobbies I have been involved with in the past and I came to the conclusion that I probably wouldn't like my hobby as much if it became my full time job. I am curious if people who transition from being strictly a hobbyist to retail store owner still spend as much time at home with their tanks or enjoy it as much. Probably not a question I would directly ask a vendor since its not great advertisement for their business if their enthusiam for the hobby has changed.

Palmer
Old 02-06-2010, 06:23 AM

FlamesFan is on a distinguished road

Im in silverado. Go south... WAY SOUTH! Yes I agree, I usually have to plan a half day event to travel to a salt water store.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:15 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post

I have thought about starting a business for other hobbies I have been involved with in the past and I came to the conclusion that I probably wouldn't like my hobby as much if it became my full time job. I am curious if people who transition from being strictly a hobbyist to retail store owner still spend as much time at home with their tanks or enjoy it as much. Probably not a question I would directly ask a vendor since its not great advertisement for their business if their enthusiam for the hobby has changed.

Palmer
I can answer that one....for me personally, working at a vendor for the last two years has done nothing but deepen my appreciation for the hobby.....possibly because working at the store has allowed me to do and add things that I wouldnt have been able to if I were still just a hobbyist....mind you, Im only there part time
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 02-06-2010, 04:33 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenz0 View Post
If a store is started in the deep south, remember that your cutting out anyone from the other side of calgary. To be honest 130th is basically only going to cater to anyone i that area. I think you guys should make a poll cause remember, the SW doesn't have a store either and the closest store to them is red coral and thats still at least a 30 min drive
One thing to remember, good service will bring them in. A good example is I live in Bridlewood (22X) and I drive to see Kevin at Red Coral. Quite a drive, but I do it because he treats me good.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 02-06-2010, 05:11 PM

steveybb is on a distinguished road

+1 on what globaldesigns said, I'm from red deer, and I have no problem driving to red coral for stuff, the good service is what will get you business!
Old 02-06-2010, 05:52 PM

andestang is on a distinguished road

Service is in my opinion to be more important than price in this hobby(to some degree). I must say I try to drive out to see Kevin and I live in Okotoks.

150g reef, 55g sump, T5's, Vertech 200A, Profilux III - German made is highly over rated, should just say Gerpan made.

Reefkeeper - individual obsessed with placing disturbing amounts of electricity and seawater in close proximity for the purpose of maintaining live coral reef organisms.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:17 PM

slough shark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post

Palmer
I wonder if a Gynacologist would agree with you?

borderline..................
Old 02-06-2010, 06:37 PM

Palmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
I wonder if a Gynacologist would agree with you?

borderline..................

OK not going to touch that one (no pun intended.) I am sure if something is your life's passion there are plenty of examples of where what I suggested is not true. It was just a thought.

More in line with the topic I think increased competition is usually a good thing for the consumer. Although if the market is overly flooded with stores and a shop has to compete tooth and nail for sales then their buying power can be affected (reduced need for large purchases and inventory) and they may not be able to offer the same variety of products they would like to offer their customers. This could mean having to drive all over the place to get everything you want (which may not be a big deal.)

Although I am in the SW I am really close to RC so I am pretty lucky.

Palmer
Old 02-06-2010, 08:50 PM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

You guys make me laugh with all your 30 min drive complaining.